Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help! >

Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cant hit the broadside of a barn with with 12 gauge! Help!

Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

50-80yds? if i were you and you are allowed, id put a 28" barrel on that gun with a full choke and shoot 00bk buckshot. my buddy has a 870 exp. and he shoots 3" winchester 00bk and i have seen him kill deer standing still at 80-100yds with 1 shot, and deer running he has killed many up to 70yds running. thats a good shooting gun, you just need to practice and pattern it.

Last edited by Ohboy; 01-05-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Would love to try that but Buckshot of all sizes is illegal in WI.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

This is a great excuse for you to get a “Slug Gun”…..not taking anything away from the 870 but that’s just not what it was made for….unless you purchased a slug barrel for the gun? Confidence in any weapon is important and bringing up the shotgun to your shoulder comfortably means the world. It’s got to feel good, you also need to check your length of pull make sure that your index finger isn’t wondering around trying to find out where it belongs J Go to your local shop and pick up every gun you would even consider…unfortunately the more expensive weapons had a tendency to “feel better”
One last point and owning a store I have seen this over and over>>>> we spend so much money getting to the woods on items that are not a high priority, your weapon is.
Buy a good gun that fits you, good ammo and your experience will most likely turn out better and missing an animal with the wrong gun just seams’ wrong.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Its all about the trigger.....get the 220f and your problems will be solved. I bet you will like the squeeze better than your 700adl.