Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Piebald

Old 01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Piebald

1-01-11 Great last day of the season.

Decided to give Fort AP Hill one more try for the season closer. The hunting hasn't been that great for me there this year (on the base) but you gotta hunt on the last day.

I killed a doe around noon and was dragging her out when I saw movement down a lane in a pine cut-over. At first I thought that it was multiple flags from deer running away. I slipped off my stand and dropped my dragging rope while kneeling down. I crawled to the nearest tree for a good rest and saw what I thought was a white plastic bag blowing around in the wind. As soon as I got the scope up my heart skipped a beat......piebald....heading right to me! When it hit a small dip I lost sight of it and took the opportunity to stabilize my rest better and check shooting lanes. He came up the hill right to me and I was debating whether to shoot him or not but when he turned broadside at 30 yards the debate was over. He was a button buck and not that large, but shooting a piebald is a once in a lifetime opportunity so I'm happy to have harvested one.

The biologist that checked the deer said that he had not heard about this deer nor had anyone else at the check station.

Now to find the money for a mount. I would just tan the hide, but the ears are pretty unique and would look great on a mount.

Mitch
Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

nice mang sweet deal
Old 01-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

never seen one in the wild or ever caught on on a game cam. Congratulations!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

very cool...i have never got a pic or seen one
Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Piebalds are great looking deer.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot this guy with my bow on a golf course over in Md. A full mount wasn't cheap but I don't regret it one bit.
Attached Thumbnails Piebald-piebald2.jpg  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Mitch, that's a hell of a deer. I took a shot with my crossbow at one last season from 40 yds. Farther than I would normally shoot but I had only see one other deer like that about 20 years ago. I missed, and saw him and a twin cripple later in the day at about 100 yds. Saw him on my game cam before season started this year with one normal spike horn and one that looked like a unicorn cork screw. Didn't see him since then at all. I figure he ended up as somebody's trophy.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
I shot this guy with my bow on a golf course over in Md. A full mount wasn't cheap but I don't regret it one bit.
That mount looks amazing.

I've only seen them at deer farms.

This thread made me think of this question... Is it legal to shoot an albino?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Master Chief
That mount looks amazing.

I've only seen them at deer farms.

This thread made me think of this question... Is it legal to shoot an albino?
Most states it's illegal to shoot an albino. But anyways a few years back I had a piebald doe i would see everynight in the back yard. I had a few pics..ill have to dig em up sometime.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

A piebald deer is not an albino so they are legal to shoot. As most of you know, an albino is completly white with pink eyes and hooves, or pinkish anyway. Personally, I don't know why states make illegal to shoot them. There neat to see, but should be taken out of the gene pool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.