Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hold old should kids be to gun hunt? >

Hold old should kids be to gun hunt?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hold old should kids be to gun hunt?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

It would appear that the people that lean in favor of unrestricted age hunting do most of their hunting on private property. I hunt public land in two states, and some of the things I see involving kids is really a shame. More than once I gutted a deer and helped a kid fill out a tag because his Dad placed him somewhere and said he would pick him up on the way out. Usually the kid does not even know the direction to "out". Legally, the kid is not to be out of the parent's sight. In Pennsylvania where I do most of my hunting, the antler restrictions make it handy to take kids along. The last day of deer season the mountain I hunt is always full of Dad and son teams, so any deer that goes by Dad can be covered with the son's tag. When we were kids, I and my cousins were allowed to go along small game hunting before we could get a license. It did not turn us off to hunting because we had to wait a couple of years to get a license.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take my boy out on public and private. He is by my side the whole time. I would never send him out on his own in Evansburg, though
Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Am I the only one that had to wait until they were 14 to start gun hunting for deer ? I swear I think the state of Michigan dropped the age down just so they could sell more licenses. Its really becoming a money issue here on most decisions made.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

I am taking my 7 year old son muzzleloader hunting this year for the first time. He handles firearms very well and shoots even better. With that said, he does not handle the gun once it is loaded. I get him ready, then I set the hammer in the firing position. He knows what to do, but accidents can happen when a child is excited. He has been on every hunting outing with me since he was 3 and has bow hunted last year and this year. He impressed me this year when he let down on a deer at 24 yards. He said it was too far away.

I would say that it really depends on the kid and the situation. We hunt on our private farm, so we know that nobody should be there. I say should because you never know if you have someone trespassing or not. I am sure that he is mature enough and properly trained to use a gun. He has put more shots through his muzzleloader than any of my adult friends.

In Ohio we have an apprentice license for new hunters. They can only get it two times and must hunt with a licensed hunter. This has worked well for our situation and next year he will take the hunters safety course to get his full license. Does this mean I will let him hunt on his own?? Heck no, it will be many many years before that happens.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Michael396
I am taking my 7 year old son muzzleloader hunting this year for the first time. He handles firearms very well and shoots even better. With that said, he does not handle the gun once it is loaded. I get him ready, then I set the hammer in the firing position. He knows what to do, but accidents can happen when a child is excited. He has been on every hunting outing with me since he was 3 and has bow hunted last year and this year. He impressed me this year when he let down on a deer at 24 yards. He said it was too far away.

I would say that it really depends on the kid and the situation. We hunt on our private farm, so we know that nobody should be there. I say should because you never know if you have someone trespassing or not. I am sure that he is mature enough and properly trained to use a gun. He has put more shots through his muzzleloader than any of my adult friends.

In Ohio we have an apprentice license for new hunters. They can only get it two times and must hunt with a licensed hunter. This has worked well for our situation and next year he will take the hunters safety course to get his full license. Does this mean I will let him hunt on his own?? Heck no, it will be many many years before that happens.
This post once again shows good common sense and proves that PARENTS really are capable of making the right decisions for their kids. Contrary to what some on here would have us to believe! Ohio has the right idea... no age limits along with sensible restrictions make safe hunting situations and satisfied hunters of all ages.
Live it up! Doug
Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

As was posted earlier, Ohio has no age limit but you do have to pass a hunter safety course and you are supposed to be able to read at a 5th grade level to take the test. My middle son started hunting deer at age 11 but he was always at my side until last year (age 17). Although he never gave me any indication that he there would be any problem I just never personally felt comfortable leaving the "shoot or not shoot" decision up to him because I was concerned that he might not always focus on what was behind the target. He has gone bow hunting totally by himself (without my even being in the woods with him) but he has not gone out with a gun totally by himself (he is now 18 and I would let him if he asked but he has not done so).
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

usualy about 15 i think.The parent will usualy not let the kid [overprotective]so you should realy think of him or her as a partner not a son.my dad bought a airgun for me first. He is very edgey though,and still wont let me hunt alone lol
Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

usualy about 15 i think
Way to late to introduce a kid to hunting. The kid is already learning how to drive by 15.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my boy at 7. Waited for the buck to come in to 15 yards and broadside. I couldn't coach him to do that, the deer was too close too fast. I had to be quiet and just hope his training took over Perfect shot through the heart.
Attached Thumbnails Hold old should kids be to gun hunt?-danny-spike-4.jpg  
Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

If they can pass a hunters safety test without help and know and apply the three basic rules of gun handling while handling a gun then they are probable mature enough to hunt game.