Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The rush passing on a deer vs The rush on killing a deer? >

The rush passing on a deer vs The rush on killing a deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The rush passing on a deer vs The rush on killing a deer?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

Default The rush passing on a deer vs The rush on killing a deer?

How many of you get just as much of a rush passing on a deer as you do shooting a deer? I personally get just as good of a rush passing as I do taking a deer. It makes me sick to my stomach to read all these threads that state I took 7 deer this year, I kept 1 and gave the other 6 away, or I catch a limit of fish and kept 1 and gave the rest to friends! If the pond or lake is over fished, no one catches any, the same for deer! I use to manage 120 acres here in southern Indiana, I was the only one that hunted the land, never taking a doe and taking just a couple of management bucks as for their racks were messed up, in the 10 yrs doing this turned out to be a trophy deer habitat! When I was a kid there were not many Deer, so we as hunters need to be more conservative on shooting so many deer a year! Just my .02!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I pass a lot of deer, probably shoot one out of ten or so. Problem is I need to do more shooting, we have way too many does in our area.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I pass a lot of deer, probably shoot one out of ten or so. Problem is I need to do more shooting, we have way too many does in our area.
My hunting area has way too many does as well and some hunters still refuse to shoot a doe.

I see no problem with people taking multiple deer, as long as it is legal and the animals are not being wasted. I normally take several deer each year. I freeze what my family will use and then donate the rest to Hunters for the Hungry.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many of you get just as much of a rush passing on a deer as you do shooting a deer?
While I pass on a lot of deer every year, I hunt to kill them. I enjoy the close encounters, but it's nothing like killing one.

Also there is no management you can do on 120 acres that will make any difference unless others bordering you are doing the same.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

I don't pass many as I hunt for the table but I get excited seeing every deer. I passed on the best buck of my life this morning. He wasn't a monster, but would have been my best. In the county I am hunting, you have to shoot a doe before you can shoot a second buck and I have not seen a doe since bow season. In fact, haven't seen any deer since mid November when I shot my buck.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

I get rush every time I see a deer. I get a huge rush when I see a big buck! I pass on a lot of deer. I normally take a doe early as I also have the earn a buck where I hunt in NOVA. Where I hunt in Central Virginia, I pass on a ton of deer waiting for a good buck. Plenty of people in Central Virginia LOVE to shoot any deer they see. So I pass on alot of does there. I normally will take my share of does in NOVA because NOVA is loaded with deer.

Last edited by VA5326; 01-01-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by travis_ranger2000
How many of you get just as much of a rush passing on a deer as you do shooting a deer? I personally get just as good of a rush passing as I do taking a deer.
I think its funny that you mention this. This is exactly how I feel and wish more people where like this. I actually think one of my buddy's think I'm kind of strange. The other day I had a 4pt and a doe walk across my field I was hunting over. I lined up on the doe and was actually going to take it and let the buck walk. I lined up on its shoulder and for some reason I was just not able to do it. I waited and waited just watching the deer. The doe soon made it to my incoming route and smelled me. It stopped dead in its tracks and looked directly up at me. I continued to stand and look at the doe though my scope. I literally stood there lined up on her shoulder for 2 minutes while she just stood there trying to make me out. I noticed her slightly bob her head and knew that she was soon to run and it was now or never. I still just couldn't pull the trigger for some reason and she and the buck finally ran off. I had such a rush after this encounter I was almost shaking. I don't know if it was because it was more of a "me vs. deer" since she was looking at me for so long or what. I soon got out of my stand saying to myself "I LOVE THIS STUFF!". I called a friend of mine and told him the story and he just kind of stayed quite like I was stupid or something, lol. This is the same friend of mine though that has no ethic and no doubt would of shot the 4 pt first and then blasted his remaining rounds at the doe as she ran off. I do think this rush depends a lot of course on the amount of deer your use to seeing. Anyway, your not the only one that gets a rush from this. I feel you bro.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by travis_ranger2000
How many of you get just as much of a rush passing on a deer as you do shooting a deer? I personally get just as good of a rush passing as I do taking a deer. It makes me sick to my stomach to read all these threads that state I took 7 deer this year, I kept 1 and gave the other 6 away, or I catch a limit of fish and kept 1 and gave the rest to friends! If the pond or lake is over fished, no one catches any, the same for deer! I use to manage 120 acres here in southern Indiana, I was the only one that hunted the land, never taking a doe and taking just a couple of management bucks as for their racks were messed up, in the 10 yrs doing this turned out to be a trophy deer habitat! When I was a kid there were not many Deer, so we as hunters need to be more conservative on shooting so many deer a year! Just my .02!

Not all areas have just a few deer and are in danger of to many deer being taken. I take out alot of does every year, usually more than 7 and a buck or 2 of the size and age that I choose and I give most of them away. It is different depending on where you are located and the deer numbers you have. So get sick or not what's right for your hunting area is not necessarily right for mine or any one else's.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Spike

I dont get any "rush" from shooting young bucks. I like to let them go and grow for another day. I hunt public ground in northern Minnesota and Ontario. Heres an example of what I mean. This is the buck I tagged in 2010. I have pictures of him since he was a 2 yr old and could have killed him each year prior to this past season. Here he is at 2 1/2 years old.

Same young buck at 3 1/2 years old. Maybe 130 inches gross.

Here he is at 4 1/2 and still not very impressive. Almost shot him here thinking he'd be a runt all his life. Maybe 140 gross. Glad I let him walk.

Here he is in 2010. He now grossed 162 inches and has a ton of character. He also will grace my wall in the form of a full shoulder mount. Glad he didnt become just another dink buck thrown in the garage.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

That my friends is a beautiful example of "Let him go, so he can grow" Thanks dc, thats awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.