Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

so...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Spike

Default so...

I've never really gone hunting before. The closest I've gotten is shooting squirrels in my backyard. I want to get more into hunting. I don't have any family that lives nearby that hunts and none of my good friends hunt. How should I get started?

Thanks khop
Old 12-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st you need to take a hunters safety course and get a lic. they usually offer these courses in the early spring and fall before turkey and deer seasons. Get a pump shotgun with interchangeable chokes and a good 22 rifle to practice shooting. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
1st you need to take a hunters safety course and get a lic. they usually offer these courses in the early spring and fall before turkey and deer seasons. Get a pump shotgun with interchangeable chokes and a good 22 rifle to practice shooting. Good luck.
I agree with him. Also find a mentor to teach you the way of the woods. Start asking everybody you can if they know Simone who will take you a couple of times.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Khop, welcome to the forum. Where do you live, there might be someone one the forum that could help out.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Spike

I planned to take a course this spring, and on getting a shotgun. I'll ask around for someone who would teach me.

I live in eastern Pa. In Exton. It's close to West Chester, and not far from Valley Forge.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Khop
How old are you? Maybe someone here can spend a little time to get you started...I would step up but I'm about 400 miles from there. So in the mean time do the following
1st step>>>
Read all you can about the sport & game that interests you. Read, read and then read some more
2nd Step >>>
Keep in touch with everyone here on HuntingNet cause those of us that are too far away can just maybe shed some light on your questions

Hope this helps!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Spike

This might sound dumb but it is really true.... Youtube... If you just watch some of the how to videos on there it will help you learn the basics. Also if you can find some hunting shows on TV that will help too. There are a lot of ways to hunt and it all depends on what works for you. There is not just one "right" way to hunt. If you fill the tag legally then you did a great job hunting. The hunting course will help out a lot too.

Once you start you will be hooked for life!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

first question is why do you want to hunt?
why squirrels in the yard?
what did you do with the squirrels?
shouldnt hun for sakeof killing things,
but for food and as part of conservation effort,
Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

You can really learn enough to get you started by watching youtube.
Safety course is a must. Lots to learn about rules and regs.
Pump shot gun excellent investment for beginer. You can hunt everything in your area.
22 also good to learn how to shoot.
I have been getting all my hunting spots from people I go to church with. They have the land and they trust me.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Spike

i was in the same situation about five years ago, nobody i knew had hunted or was interested in hunting. i did some research on the internet on the game i wanted to hunt (deer). you do need to find a safety course. the next thing i did was i went into the woods and spent as much time out there during the spring and summer, i felt that no matter how much time i spent out there previous to wanting to hunt it wasnt enough. that would be my best suggestion is to spend as much spare time in the woods looking for signs of game learning to track them and learning to walk in the woods. also you want to learn the sounds of the woods and the internet cant help out with that as good as time in the woods. good luck wish i could help you out but i live in illinois.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.