Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

so...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Thats not true.There are a lot of reasons to hunt animals other than meat.varmit,pelt,controling the numbers,and meat
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

The first thing you do is find a place to hunt, and that might be a drive for you. I was down that way with a logging outfit a few years back and the area you live in is primarily communist. Get a map and start looking for state land. Nocamixion state park is pretty close to you and of a good size. Don't start walking around in the woods or fields hunting down there unless it is state land, and even some state land is off limits. There is places to hunt within driving distance of you, but you have to find them.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Spike

Welcome Khop. If you've shot squirrel in your backyard, then you are already a hunter in my book. Some farmers never leave their properties to hunt - they are just like you only they have bigger backyards, lol.

Besides the hunter safety course, I would recommend getting your hands on your state's hunting rules and regulations which will list the hunting seasons, what firearms you are allowed to use, and clothing requirements (such as wearing blaze orange,etc) among other things. If you go to a publicly owned area, be sure and check if they have any additional regulations.

Secondly, google ... google ... and google some more.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions here or at any other site. No question is considered "stupid" as we all had to start at ground zero at one point or other.

This time for real lastly, don't be intimidated by the thought of venturing out of your yard to hunt. As long as you are legal and safe, just going out into the woods with a gun and a little hope makes for a great day. Every time you go out, you will be a better hunter as you gain experience and think of more questions to ask (this part will last the rest of your and our lives and is why we are all here).

Good luck to you.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Outdoor
Khop
How old are you? Maybe someone here can spend a little time to get you started...I would step up but I'm about 400 miles from there. So in the mean time do the following
1st step>>>
Read all you can about the sport & game that interests you. Read, read and then read some more
2nd Step >>>
Keep in touch with everyone here on HuntingNet cause those of us that are too far away can just maybe shed some light on your questions

Hope this helps!
I'm 18 and thanks.

Originally Posted by Terasec
first question is why do you want to hunt?
why squirrels in the yard?
what did you do with the squirrels?
shouldnt hun for sakeof killing things,
but for food and as part of conservation effort,
It would be mostly for a source of very good food, and it seems very rewarding. Because squirrels are the only thing around here I can hunt with a pellet gun. Skin and eat the squirrels.

Thanks,
khop
Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Khop
I'm 18 and thanks.

It would be mostly for a source of very good food, and it seems very rewarding. Because squirrels are the only thing around here I can hunt with a pellet gun. Skin and eat the squirrels.

Thanks,
khop
Think your already a hunter,
As others have stated, find the land,
Most state agencies have listings of state game lands,
Many also list when and where courses are offered.
Until you get certification and your hunting license, you can still get out and scout the lands,
Also let friends and family members know your interest to hunt, they might know someone willing to take you out with them.

Reason I ask why, is many kids who start want to go out and shoot things up for the sake of shooting ,
Many shoot squirrels for no other reason other than to use them as targets, not a practice I condone.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I learned a lot about hunting from watching the outdoor channel. Them people on there have the best stuff, land, etc. So don't expect to be able to shoot a huge deer right off the bat. Some of those shows give a lot of good advice about hunting though.