HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Triple kill! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/337331-triple-kill.html)

Master Chief 12-30-2010 08:33 AM

Triple kill!

I got up and got ready like normal this morning and decided to go sit in my favorite stand. I got on my stand ladder and here a deer walk off 15 yards from me. I get in the stand and it comes back. I think I snuck up on it and just barely spoked it(it was really dark so thats why it didn't see me). Anyways I see that its a smaller buck and let him walk. 5-10 minutes later I see 2 young deer walking up on the hill 20yrds in front of me. Then their mom walked out and gave me a shot but I normally don't kill doe, Yesterday my dad was complaining about me letting so many go so i said you know what I'll take her. So I shot and she ran off, then the second deer takes off and I reload and hit it on the running shot. I see the other one still moving in some thick stuff 20 yrads away so I wait a couple of minutes and call my dad to tell him I shot two and might get a third. I wait a little more and decide to sneak up on it. It was in some thick stuff hidding and I managed to get 10yrds from it before it runs off. Luckily it ran into a little clear spot on the other side of the hill. I snuck over the hill and dropped her :)

I'm gonna start letting the doe walk again though. Gotta get me a big buck!

Bloodsaw 12-30-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Master Chief (Post 3749895)
I got up and got ready like normal this morning and decided to go sit in my favorite stand. I got on my stand ladder and here a deer walk off 15 yards from me. I get in the stand and it comes back. I think I snuck up on it and just barely spoked it(it was really dark so thats why it didn't see me). Anyways I see that its a smaller buck and let him walk. 5-10 minutes later I see 2 young deer walking up on the hill 20yrds in front of me. Then their mom walked out and gave me a shot but I normally don't kill doe, Yesterday my dad was complaining about me letting so many go so i said you know what I'll take her. So I shot and she ran off, then the second deer takes off and I reload and hit it on the running shot. I see the other one still moving in some thick stuff 20 yrads away so I wait a couple of minutes and call my dad to tell him I shot two and might get a third. I wait a little more and decide to sneak up on it. It was in some thick stuff hidding and I managed to get 10yrds from it before it runs off. Luckily it ran into a little clear spot on the other side of the hill. I snuck over the hill and dropped her :)

I'm gonna start letting the doe walk again though. Gotta get me a big buck!

Here's a picture:

The other deer are deer my dad killed. The one with his horns cut off was a spike that he killed. The button buck was over 100yrds away so he couldn't tell and the spike was older and had bad genes so I didn't get mad at him for shooting it :P

The two second doe were really young which my mom was kinda unhappy about that(I think her opinion will change at the dinner table tonite ;]) I saw the oppurtunity, hadn't killed but one this year, it was legal(still think it shouldn't be though..), and I knew they weren't button bucks.

Why do u have rotten deer on the ground? haha just asking?

Master Chief 12-30-2010 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bloodsaw (Post 3749913)
Why do u have rotten deer on the ground? haha just asking?

LOL thats one that my dogs drug in the woods and we forgot about it. We usually let them lay on the ground for the dogs for a week but that one stayed a little longer lol. It's gone now though, my dad took em off after we cut the three doe up. The other doe was killed two days ago and the button buck last week.

Stonewall308 12-30-2010 09:10 AM

Sounds kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. I'd have to have a major, major problem with doe before I'd shoot a mom and her two yearlings in a single sitting. Not sure I'd ever have any reason to take pictures of them lined up with other deer with rotting eyeballs and such. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Master Chief 12-30-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stonewall308 (Post 3749924)
Sounds kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. I'd have to have a major, major problem with doe before I'd shoot a mom and her two yearlings in a single sitting. Not sure I'd ever have any reason to take pictures of them lined up with other deer with rotting eyeballs and such. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

I don't see how you could even call it that. It's not like it was as easy as boom boom boom. The older doe was the only one that you could even call easy. The second one was runnin. And I used my knowledge of my hunting area to think about where the other deer had to run to. Besides why the hell wouldn't you do it in one hunt? Whats the difference between killing them in one day and over more than one day?

And like I said to the other guy, we were about to get rid of the deer bodies. I'll remove the pic but I figured you guys wouldn't even care...

Well nm the pic is still in that guys post but he can delete it if he wants to.

Bloodsaw 12-30-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Master Chief (Post 3749937)
I don't see how you could even call it that. It's not like it was as easy as boom boom boom. The older doe was the only one that you could even call easy. The second one was runnin. And I used my knowledge of my hunting area to think about where the other deer had to run to. Besides why the hell wouldn't you do it in one hunt? Whats the difference between killing them in one day and over more than one day?

And like I said to the other guy, we were about to get rid of the deer bodies. I'll remove the pic but I figured you guys wouldn't even care...

I have no problem with rotting deer. I have even killed multiple deer in one sit like you. I have killed small deer. My only problem is you could have taken a much cleaner picture. And shown us as hunters in a better light. I have no hard feeling over it though. Its not that big of a deal.

Master Chief 12-30-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bloodsaw (Post 3749939)
I have no problem with rotting deer. I have even killed multiple deer in one sit like you. I have killed small deer. My only problem is you could have taken a much cleaner picture. And shown us as hunters in a better light. I have no hard feeling over it though. Its not that big of a deal.

I guess the pic was a bad idea lol Probably should have thought to take a pic with the skin still on the deer :P

BTW, you don't have to but to avoid more problems over the pic can you remove it from the quote?

Scottdnramember 12-30-2010 11:00 AM

MC, If your deer herd is anything like ours, I think that shooting these 3 in one sitting (hunt) is not only fine, but what difference does it make over shooting one one day the others over other days? The Limit is the Limit and filling doe tags is not only legal its part of good game management. Nothing much better than does for the freezer, especially small ones. Sorry if that hurts any feelings but its like a fish that is a “Good Eatin’ Size”

I also get the shooting of a small buck with obvious genetic flaws or one with weird rack to get it out of the gene pool. About the only thing I’d say is, you have a bit more good meat on those necks that is really good in the grinder with the shoulders. You can usually get two nice pieces from the bottom of the neck that run almost to the head and two more ok ones from the spine on up to the head.

Like you I think the meat on the ribs is so full of junk that it is best to feed your foxes with them. If I ever ran into anyone who liked them, I would gladly supply them! HA.

maynerrd 12-30-2010 12:56 PM

Scotts right, some good roast can be made from the neck. Hell of a job fillin your doe tags.

rbduck 12-30-2010 01:13 PM

Is it me or are those deer really small?

Ron