Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

thawing then re freezing meat

Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default thawing then re freezing meat

Is there a problem with thawing out ground to press into bratwurst and then re freeezing it? Thanks for the help
Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes, it can be a big problem...meat has its own preservative in it, it can only be frozen once while raw...after it thaws, you can cook it, then re-freeze it, but ya cant refreeze raw meat.
now, if you take extra pre-cautions, and not let the meat really thaw out all the way, and run ice along with the meat and spices through the grinder, it is possible. personally, i dont take the risk, rather do it all when i 1st process the deer, and i guess if i didnt, i would just cook the sausage, then freeze it. gl
Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had a problem with doing that for the past 30 years. I don't make bratwurst, but grind it into hamburger. It always taste great. I know several hunters who do the same thing with no problems either. I have probably 70lbs of meat in the freezer right now ready to grind.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Spike

I do it alot and im still kickin... it always looked and smelled the same... I dont see anything wrong with it. I have done what your talking about making bratwurst then re freezing it...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I asked a butcher this a few years back, he said as long as it was cool when worked up, no problem...
Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've done the same thing for years, saving enough scraps in the freezer, thawing, and taking them over to a buddy's to grind into burger in a big batch. Never a problem. Texture and flavor are good.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The USDA doesn't reccommend it....but they also don't think it's a good idea to shoot a cow in the woods, gut it, and drag it through the leaves...LOL

I've been doing it for years and haven't had a problem.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

If it's no good to do that, then what happens to those who hang deer outside and the temp drops and freezes the meat?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

its fine I freeze meat ready for grind then refreeze without a problem. It grinds better for me frozen in strips with beef or pork . that way it keeps the grinder cold for better fat distribution
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
meat has its own preservative in it
Huh?

Meat at room temperature is quickly colonized by bacteria and begins to spoil. No preservatives present, so I'm not sure where you got your info. As to the OP's question, it's like the others have stated. It's all about temperature and time. Keep it cool, and refreeze it as soon as possible and you should minimize the contamination from bacteria (which is ultimately what spoils meat).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.