Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What have we become?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

a lot of the older stuff is better in many ways if you ask me, made with USA cotton, or manufactured in the US without synthetic dyes, etc...

still is some good modern stuff out there though.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

When I started hunting a couple of years ago I was intimidated by all the products. From attractants to the scent free to the best sling. I went back to the basics as my dad taught me real early. Layered clothes, basic camo pattern, hunted with the wind in my face, and really just enjoyed being out there. My success came down to my rifle skills and scouting and knowing where I was hunting. Wearing Dickies and a hoody sweatshirt with a fleece camo jacket helped me bag 4 so far this season. I think that there are still alot of basic hunters out there that really go out and hunt minus all the over marketed gear. Just my thoughts
Old 12-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skinnnner
i totaly agree.now we even shoot animals in fences lol!
And take a camera crew with us lol.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all about the almighty dollar...

Some of my best hunts were when I grabbed a water, a sammich, a gun, and a knife and headed out for the day...killing a deer at dark and heading back in.

It seems that the multitude of ATV's and gadgets have turned hunting into a high-tech sport...when it doesn't have to be.

But, to each his own. If someone decides to do it the old-fashoined way, that's their choice. The same for those that look like LL Bean with a trailer heading through the woods.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

As any activity gets more popular, the gadget inventors come along. With any idea pool, some are great, some ok, some terrible, some hit niche markets.

You say "old fashion" way, really? do you use a scope? heck do you use other than a patched round ball with black powder? compound bow? carbon or aluminum arrows? replaceable blade broadheads, rangefinder, safety harness, heck even a tree stand or blind?

all these are gadgets that turned out good. Gadgets that aren't good die off.

some things just make it a tad easier, or more conveinent.
Things like UA are designed for active use, not really hunting, well at least stand hunting. they are designed to help you stay warm despite working up a sweat in cold weather. They don't really insulate, they wick moisture away so you don't get chilled from the water. The stuff works, I ref LOTS of soccer games, starting in March when it's cold, wearing UA is so much better than not!

It's all evolution, and the mightly dollar. Take an everyday object and put it out in camo, they up the price, why? Why camo UA? It's always covered with other clothes anyway?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default What've we become?...

A demographic, a "target" market quite literally.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Spike

This has probably been one of the most interesting discussions I've read.

The one thing I believe is that each of us are in different stages on modernization as it relates to hunting. I believe this is probably because of any number of factors from core beliefs to financial ability. You can go to Walmart, Cabelas, Bass Pro etc. and see some practical products and some ridiculous products (in my opinion). I know I'm somewhere in the middle. I still believe in keeping it simple but at the same time love my polypropylene and my trail cam. I even built a website to help trail cam users sort and chart their photo information. I'm so confused.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just get a system that works for you. Warm weather, cool weather and cold weather. I don't buy UA. Good gear is important, but really how many pairs of insulated underwear or gloves do you need, just a couple and they should last for many years. I do believe in having a good gun or bow, arrows and broadheads but they last along time too. I try not to get caught up with buying a bunch of junk, I have learned to focus on buying property, leasing property and spending my hunting budget on getting to where the deer are. I think too many people blow a bunch of money on all the little gadgets and keep hunting in the same over hunted areas only to be disappointed year after year.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Very Good Post

I cannot agree more. I felt a lot of this in the military also. Trying to teach guys the basics when there is technology that replaces it. I learned that you have to be inventive to implement both. However, a lot of times we out run our headlights. Having only hunted a few years now I have learned a lot. The most important lessons were learned by just being out there in the woods. No matter what gear, gadgets or latest product you have will never replace experience. You have have the latest high dollar scope but if you don't know how to zero it or learn proper trigger squeeze you will never make your mark. You can wear the latest scent blocking technology but it won't help you if you don't do your homework and pattern deer so you know where downwind is. Sure it may by you a split second but it doesn't replace the basics. It's something we can all learn from the old fashioned ways and the veteran hunters. Memorize the basics and everything will fall into place. One of my favorite quotes: "What makes us high speed, men? The basics!"
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
My dad jokes about inline muzzleloaders and scopes and asks, "What would Daniel Boone think of that???" My answer is that he would be shooting it if he had one! lol
Yep. And Daniel Boone didn't have competition from several other hunters per square mile of land. Hunting today is far different from the old days in large part due to the huge amount of hunting pressure on most lands. The guys that try to compare hunting today to the way the old timers did it usually miss that point. The animals react differently where they're heavily pressured, and I don't think ol' Dan Boone had to deal with the intense pressure we face today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.