Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

270 wsm

Old 12-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default 270 wsm

I know nothing about the cartrige but a guy wants to trade me a new in box browning Abolt in 270wsm. The gun is synthetic stock with a blues barrel. What's it worth? Also how do y'all like the round is it a deer only round or will it takle elk and bear? Is it worth it to have a wsm.

UPDATE: I did the trade the gun was light and felt great I put a leupold vx3 3.5x10x50mm scope on it and sighted it in with 150gr fusions at 100 yards. one of the best shooting guns I've fired touching holes! I love it all I'm waitin on is a shot at a deer to see it's on game performance

Last edited by Backwoods7; 01-02-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not a fan of A-bolts at all. I don't think Browning has built a rifle worth a flip since they made the commercial mausers but the .270WSM will take any game in NA.

If the gun is actually unfired NIB it would be worth about $450 - $500 retail.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

certainly will take any of north americas big game. my buddy has an a bolt, its a very nice rifle.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

270 WSM is a very capable round. I have one and have taken WT deer with it, but would not hesitate to use it for elk and bear also. As far as the Browning A-bolt, they make nice guns. I personally don't care for their triggers, they are adjustable for pull weight but creep is not easily fixed.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does it apply to you

As I'm fond of saying to myself, 9 out of 10 things in hunting and fishing don't apply to me. Even though I've been a fisherman and hunter for decades. Maybe less so with others on useage, but there is only so much you can use. And no one has a clue what you can use, what you hunt, how you hunt, and where you hunt.

Now we're all different, so does this particular rifle, more obscure than many, fit you? Are you a collector? Do you depend on one or two deer rifles and would this rifle fit your battery?

And as an independent hunter, to prove the point, I appreciate my Browning A-Bolt. In 30-06 of course. It saved me from buying several more rifles, saving me some money. For me, I reloaded five separate grain cartridges, from 125 gr. to 180 gr., getting moa or less on all five. I adjusted my own trigger, so I've been happy with that. Won't see me complaining, regardless of other's howls. We're all independent, you see.

Someone could come on and say that an old 30-30 is their best rifle. I'd accept that idea. For someone else.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

What are you thinking about trading? An everyday .270 will take deer, black bear, elk and most anything else you want to shoot. The mag cartridges are a lot more expensive and hae a more limited selection of bullets.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
What are you thinking about trading? An everyday .270 will take deer, black bear, elk and most anything else you want to shoot. The mag cartridges are a lot more expensive and hae a more limited selection of bullets.
he wants my old s&w model 58 it's pitted and been reblued so no collectors value but a good shooter but I gotta 44 so I don't need the 41 but I've also gotta 270 Winchester so I donno if I need a 270wsm also
Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

You will love the 270wsm, get win.xp3 in 130 gr or barnes ttsx you are go to go! The short mag is a little step up over a 270.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Spike

I have a Winchester Model 70 in the .270wsm, black synthetic stock and bbl. It's the only rifle I hunt with. I was shooting winchester supreme bst's in 130 gr. but now I have switched to corelokt. Absolutely love this rifle!!
Old 12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in the .270 WSM,its a very nice gun and is also accurate.The .270 WSM will have more felt-recoil and the shells will cost You a lot more if You don't re-load them yourself,the 150 grain Winchester shells run about $35.00-$40.00 for a box of 20 shells.I'm thinking that Rifle would cost around $550.00 to around the upper $600.00 dollar range brand new!

I also have a Browning A-bolt Hunter bolt action Rifle in a .243 caliber that is very accurate and has taken down several Deer including 2 nice 8-Point Bucks...accuracy and shot placement are the key in shooting any Gun out there,any good Hunters practice with his gun and knows what they are limited to doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.