Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers >

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Do you support your local conservation officers using deer decoys to catch poachers?
Yes, I do.
92.36%
No, I do not.
7.64%
I am indifferent.
0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I've seen some pretty nice bucks standing along the road over the years....sometimes during hunting season when I had a gun with me. Not once did I ever consider shooting at them. Entrapment my @ss. All it does is bring out whats really in them.

Haha, I love it. You pretty well summed it up right there.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Exclamation

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
As to the entrapment, what is the difference in someone illegally shooting a decoy on land they probably don't have permission to hunt on and shooting a live buck on property they don't have permission to hunt on? Just makes it easier for the understaffed wildlife officers to catch someone.
Yes!

Anything that makes it harder on poachers or trespassers I'm for. If anything the punishments aren't severe enough because many times you see repeat offenders. Hit these lowlifes where it hurts, seize their weapons, fine them and let them spend some weekends in the jug.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I invited my GW to set up deer or turkey decoys anytime on my lease. The one time he wanted to, he couldn't contact me for whatever reason,so he didn't. But he is watching my area close and even checked me this past season, so I'm happy.
Missouri is a pretty free state still, and hopefully always will be, as far as our second amendment rights. We can carry weapons openly or concealed almost anywhere and time. Loaded and uncased weapons for personal defense or hunting may be on you or in your vehicle without question. This has also been adopted by IA. At least they will allow you to carry loaded weapons, loaded and uncased with a permit from any state while hunting,or for self defense starting Jan. 1, 2011, Next week. Go to IA dept. of public safety for details. This will be helpful to me when I'm hunting near the state line and want to hit Sub Way in Lamoni for lunch. I don't own a gun case and am not about to unload and break down my guns for legal transport in Iowa, just to drive in two miles and have a sandwich. So my choice has always been risk it, leave my weapons in someones care for a few minutes or avoid IA. and doing business there, which has been my choice most of the time. I've also used the other two options.
My point being that regulating guns or any other personal choice is constitutionally wrong, as it was considered by the framers as a god given natural right, but regulating the misuse of guns, or having consequences for making bad choices that effect others rights is needed for mutually agreed upon reasons like public safety and protecting others rights.
So when you grab your already loaded rifle, stick it out the window, and shoot from the roadway at a decoy that is set up in however safe a manner at a fake deer you are still doing wrong. The decoy will be set on property that is off limits whether posted or not, and you can't shoot from a road or a motorized vehicle in Missouri anyway. So I hope you pay a very large fine and quit being a slob, and that there is still hope for you to learn and become a hunter.
On the subject of GW's having way too much power, I agree. They should conduct their investigations without stepping on our rights like most other law enforcement agents try to do. If it takes two years to convince a judge that you need to check someones freezer, and he won't give you a warrant, then maybe it's not worth wasting your time on. As far as I know only bounty hunters and game wardens have the power to conduct searches of any property any time without probable cause and a warrant signed by a judge, and without any liability of property, or personal damages if you get in their way. They can kick in your door and mace your wife and your dog and pay for nothing, just to serve you with a ticket for shooting an extra squirrel,or missing a court date. On behalf of the bounty hunter, he is acting directly on behalf of the court to bring someone to justice and already has the courts permission to do so. But for a game officer this is wrong and needs to be changed in nearly every state.
When the people take back their constitutional freedoms, I'm all for it, as long as they play by the rules. But I agree that all law enforcement should play by the rules also, and illegal searches with no liability should not take place in America.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

I support it and i think its pretty clever thinking on the dnrs part
Old 12-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Decoys

Originally Posted by Shoulder Strap
Some of your opinions might change if you were to have them pester and harass you. I think its wrong for them to drive on private land then start demanding things. Then when they dont find anything they say well we had a call. B.S. The land owner can tell them to leave but they will call the state patrol and say that simple cause you told them to leave you must be hiding something. There is that gray area I was talking about. Most that I have met are smart elects and arrogant. By the way I have never had a wildlife violation.
I voted yes also.
But I agree with you on the harassment. I have only had on encounter with a Game Warden. He was arrogant with everybody, I heard. It was in Kendal Co. Illinois. 1984. We were ticketed for coming out too late with guns unloaded and actions open after no charge could be found. Anyone else?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by turkey guide
I invited my GW to set up deer or turkey decoys anytime on my lease. The one time he wanted to, he couldn't contact me for whatever reason,so he didn't. But he is watching my area close and even checked me this past season, so I'm happy.
Missouri is a pretty free state still, and hopefully always will be, as far as our second amendment rights. We can carry weapons openly or concealed almost anywhere and time. Loaded and uncased weapons for personal defense or hunting may be on you or in your vehicle without question. This has also been adopted by IA. At least they will allow you to carry loaded weapons, loaded and uncased with a permit from any state while hunting,or for self defense starting Jan. 1, 2011, Next week. Go to IA dept. of public safety for details. This will be helpful to me when I'm hunting near the state line and want to hit Sub Way in Lamoni for lunch. I don't own a gun case and am not about to unload and break down my guns for legal transport in Iowa, just to drive in two miles and have a sandwich. So my choice has always been risk it, leave my weapons in someones care for a few minutes or avoid IA. and doing business there, which has been my choice most of the time. I've also used the other two options.
My point being that regulating guns or any other personal choice is constitutionally wrong, as it was considered by the framers as a god given natural right, but regulating the misuse of guns, or having consequences for making bad choices that effect others rights is needed for mutually agreed upon reasons like public safety and protecting others rights.
So when you grab your already loaded rifle, stick it out the window, and shoot from the roadway at a decoy that is set up in however safe a manner at a fake deer you are still doing wrong. The decoy will be set on property that is off limits whether posted or not, and you can't shoot from a road or a motorized vehicle in Missouri anyway. So I hope you pay a very large fine and quit being a slob, and that there is still hope for you to learn and become a hunter.
On the subject of GW's having way too much power, I agree. They should conduct their investigations without stepping on our rights like most other law enforcement agents try to do. If it takes two years to convince a judge that you need to check someones freezer, and he won't give you a warrant, then maybe it's not worth wasting your time on. As far as I know only bounty hunters and game wardens have the power to conduct searches of any property any time without probable cause and a warrant signed by a judge, and without any liability of property, or personal damages if you get in their way. They can kick in your door and mace your wife and your dog and pay for nothing, just to serve you with a ticket for shooting an extra squirrel,or missing a court date. On behalf of the bounty hunter, he is acting directly on behalf of the court to bring someone to justice and already has the courts permission to do so. But for a game officer this is wrong and needs to be changed in nearly every state.
When the people take back their constitutional freedoms, I'm all for it, as long as they play by the rules. But I agree that all law enforcement should play by the rules also, and illegal searches with no liability should not take place in America.

At least they will allow you to carry loaded weapons, loaded and uncased with a permit from any state while hunting,or for self defense starting Jan. 1, 2011, Not in Illinois.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jrbsr
I voted against it, because its entrapment.
And could, and does cause hunters that normally follow the laws to break the laws.
Especially if they are having a really bad deer hunting season that year.
It would be like holding a bottle of liqueur in front of a reformed alcoholic, or a bag of weed, or bottle of pills in front of someone just walking out of a substance abuse center.

It causes people that normally obey the laws, to break the laws.

JMHO

You obviously have NO IDEA what entrapment is... And if you're condoning poaching a deer out of a car window simply because the person was having a "really bad deer hunting season that year" well, that's just plain ridiculous...
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

I voted yes because i think its a great tool but to be honest i think ny dec has too much authority no checks and balances . I have been hunting for 30 plus years never had so much as of a traffic violation let alone a hunting/ fishing violation. Had an Issue with a bunny hugger that didnt like me shooting my bow in my back yard ....I live in the country .Turns out after a few words her dec officer hubby showed 7 am next morning up and tryed to harrass me ... after threatining him with formal complaints and grabbing my cell to call 911 he decided to leave ... For the next 5 years i was checked for my tags, liscence ,car,creel limits 4 or five times a year by this guy and his stooge friends ... the whole time i recorded it till i finally walked into the main office and filed a complaint with copies and witness certificates on this guy.They asked why i waited so long to complain .. I told them i have complained but his boss buried the info .Investigation a few months later the boss retired ... the officer was transfered to another region.. worst part is ... he probably got a promotion and a raise .
Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in favor of them using whatever they can to catch the scum.