Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers >

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Do you support your local conservation officers using deer decoys to catch poachers?
Yes, I do.
92.36%
No, I do not.
7.64%
I am indifferent.
0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ksharvester
i voted against it because who knows where they put it and what is behind it. with our high powered rifles who knows what can get hit. if someone is on a road that means buildings and houses are near by and there could be kids riding four wheelers in the field behind where they put em out. other than that i dont have an issue with it

even more of a reason to catch and charge that would shoot from the road at such a target,
as other stated, dont think they are putting it in front of your house,
officials have lots of safe places to place them, such as roads bordering state lands.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:15 AM
JW
Super Moderator

The people who voted No are where probably caught in the act!

Or are against huning!

JW
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got tired of the roadhunting on my land years ago, so I contacted the DNR the GW has set the decoy up on my property numerous times. The very first time they did, they caught a poacher within 1hr. Sometimes they do it at night, but often during the day as well. I love it. And I guarantee you, 95% of you would think its a real deer. The only way you wouldn't is if you were there long enough that you realized it won't run. Most poachers are shooting by then. They often set it up with a doe as well, add's realism to the setup.

And yes, they do have to have permission....and they are 100% sure that where they set up is safe. They just don't randomly set up wherever they feel like. I'm glad they do it and will continue to have them set up on my property. Road hunters are scumbags.

I have also seen a decoy on the side of the road several times in other areas.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

I voted yes on the survey. But I think that the conservaton department has way to much authority. They fall into the gray area most of the time. They are the only intetity in goverment that are not controlled by a system of checks and balances. They do what they want and if its a problem they make an excuse for probable cause and that makes it all right. I think they need to be knocked down a whole lot of notches
Old 12-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shoulder Strap
I voted yes on the survey. But I think that the conservaton department has way to much authority. They fall into the gray area most of the time. They are the only intetity in goverment that are not controlled by a system of checks and balances. They do what they want and if its a problem they make an excuse for probable cause and that makes it all right. I think they need to be knocked down a whole lot of notches

I voted agains it for this reason. They are unlike any other branch of law enforcement and their authority is mostly unquestioned. I hate road hunting as much as the next guy here, and I understand the function of using decoys. But I think that GWs need to be under the same restrictions as other LE officers.
-Jake
Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

But cops do the same thing in areas with high auto theft rates. They set up "bait" cars and wait for someone to steal them, then arrest them. It's no different. I don't see how this would be a form of the GWs being unnecessarily forceful or expressing too much authority.

IMHO if you do nothing wrong, you should have no problem with the GWs being out there doing everything they can to catch those who aren't so law-abiding. I'd rather be stopped by a warden every time I'm hunting or fishing and know they're out there than never get stopped.

I wish there were 100X more wardens out there than there are, but that's not something that's feasible. Hopefully these sorts of tactics will not only get the offenders that are caught off the wrong path for a while, but also serve as a deterant to others who might consider violating.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

I am no fan of Feds, Regulations and authority,
this is not a matter of feds/officials overstepping their authority and restricting LEGAL hunters rights,
this only affects poachers,
does not affect LEGAL hunters in anyway, so am all for it.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Schobs
But cops do the same thing in areas with high auto theft rates. They set up "bait" cars and wait for someone to steal them, then arrest them. It's no different. I don't see how this would be a form of the GWs being unnecessarily forceful or expressing too much authority.

IMHO if you do nothing wrong, you should have no problem with the GWs being out there doing everything they can to catch those who aren't so law-abiding. I'd rather be stopped by a warden every time I'm hunting or fishing and know they're out there than never get stopped.

I wish there were 100X more wardens out there than there are, but that's not something that's feasible. Hopefully these sorts of tactics will not only get the offenders that are caught off the wrong path for a while, but also serve as a deterant to others who might consider violating.
Some of your opinions might change if you were to have them pester and harass you. I think its wrong for them to drive on private land then start demanding things. Then when they dont find anything they say well we had a call. B.S. The land owner can tell them to leave but they will call the state patrol and say that simple cause you told them to leave you must be hiding something. There is that gray area I was talking about. Most that I have met are smart elects and arrogant. By the way I have never had a wildlife violation.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Some of your opinions might change if you were to have them pester and harass you. I think its wrong for them to drive on private land then start demanding things. Then when they dont find anything they say well we had a call. B.S. The land owner can tell them to leave but they will call the state patrol and say that simple cause you told them to leave you must be hiding something. There is that gray area I was talking about. Most that I have met are smart elects and arrogant. By the way I have never had a wildlife violation.

I'm right with you shoulder strap. In total agreement. I've had them walk up to me while I was hunting on private land. they don't need permission to be there, they're allowed. To me that's too far. I've also never had any violations and have never knowingly done anything to deserve any either. But I think there needs to be more limitations on their freedoms.
-Jake
Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted yes on the survey. As to having the decoy set up near buildings, to some this might not be safe, but in real life a nice buck could wonder into that same area. Last year I videoed hunters passing right through my farm yard, coming in to hunt and leaving. Two trail cameras videoed these same hunters walking bush on the property. I wasn't long padlocking the entrance gates and putting up numerous "No Trespassing" signs. This year thanks to snow, a hunter came in from the back side of the property, walked several yards to the road approach where the hunter was picked up by a buddy. The gate at this road approach was padlocked and a "No Trespassing" sign beside it.
As to spot lighting, a deer will probably hold as it is temporarily blinded by the bright light. At night: 1) a poacher is not thinking of a fake deer and 2) if he sees a deer sporting a nice rack, he's got to have it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.