Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers >

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Do you support your local conservation officers using deer decoys to catch poachers?
Yes, I do.
92.36%
No, I do not.
7.64%
I am indifferent.
0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
The hunter can say he did't shoot a real deer. But, I think it's illegal to shoot a decoy on someone's property from your vehicle as well.

Yep.

I'd imagine that in all 50 states it is illegal to discharge a firearm from a public road except for self defense. I'd also imagine it is illegal to shoot onto someone else's private property without permission.

Even if there aren't laws banning these sorts of things, there are other very broad laws, such as "public disorderly conduct" or "endangering the public safety." The laws these days are pretty much written so that prosecutors can convict nearly anyone they want.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Have you not seen the decoy they use? They generally look extremely real. They use real hide and real taxidermy work.
I've heard they use reflectors to make the eyes glow realistically, and some even have mechanical parts so that the heads move.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

I agree big country, these decoys sure look pretty life-like. To my understanding, they're often full-body mounts of bucks, fully equipped with reflective eyes and robotics for added realism. If nothing else the DNR could cite them with destruction of government property!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm for it. I remember a TV show several years ago here in Texas where they showed the tapes of people shooting at the decoys along the road, and their subsequent arrest. I remember one that kept on shooting at the deer decoy until the GWs came in behind him and arrested him. I could understand why the guys weren't out in the woods instead. They were dunderheads.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Spike

I don't see how this could not be interpreted as at least "attempted poaching"...what could the violators' defenses possibly be? This isn't any different than guys trying to pick up a hooker on the corner only to find out the "hooker" is a police decoy. I think that judge should be thrown off the bench for not enforcing the law.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Just to clarify, it was District Attorney Demetrio "Butch" Verich who refused to prosecute, and he has since retired.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Have you not seen the decoy they use? They generally look extremely real. They use real hide and real taxidermy work.
To be honest with ya no I haven't. Out here we would pick up on the fact they didn't run into the next county when the truck stopped. Besides we have enough legal deer to hunt that even real deer in a place where we know we can't hunt doesn't draw fire from the guys I hunt with.

Like I said no one I hunt with is that desperate.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

every year in Michigan the DNR by where i used to hunt would place them on the roadways off of major roads. the deer looked like they had been used for practice one to many times. I am not sure it that is from idiots shooting them or if they haven't replaced them in a while. either way it is funny
Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Grizz-I remember that show it was a father and son he had his son take the first 2 shot when the deer didn't fall or run the dad took over and he kept shooting till the gw came up and fined them both .It was funny to see just how some hunter are so bumb.I wish they could hire more gw why they can't is be on me .
Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I heard of one guy that saw the fake deer, realized it was fake and knew the Wardens where watching...so he drove off the road and ran it over! He was fined for destruction of property or something like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.