Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers >

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Do you support your local conservation officers using deer decoys to catch poachers?
Yes, I do.
92.36%
No, I do not.
7.64%
I am indifferent.
0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Your views on DNR using decoys to nab poachers

Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I'm all for it.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I think they should prosecute them to the fullest. They did that here in WV a few years back and busted several would be poachers. I don't remember what all the charges were that brought against them but there were several. One guy had his buddy to drop him off and he made a stalk on robo deer. He was the legal shooting distance from the road but didn't have permission to hunt....lol The Robo deer was actually a radio controlled head that moved from side to side mounted on a 50 gallon drum with a deer hide draped over it. It also had a radio controlled tail that moved. A closer look would probably have revealed that it was fake but poachers usually aren't picky......lol
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I think it is great.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think I've ever seen one but I could've and just not payed much attention to it to see its fake.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

I got to see the decoy once, it was pretty impressive. Its basically a full deer mount, this one had movable parts to look more real. I hope they put all road hunters away..

I have a house in southern va, and ive seen guys driving down the road spotlighting while im following them on a public road, and they dont even care. It nuts. Ive seen it close to the city too, and i think they should put those deer out during the day too, cause ive seen people try to shoot deer out of my yard on a saturday afternoon before too.. They can call me ill tell them where to put it. IM all for the decoys!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Spike

Can anyone see who the 4 are that voted no? I really would like to hear why as well. And regardless of the legalities, is shooting a deer out of the window really hunting? No. This is "hunting"net.com. Not "Poachingnet"...
Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Can't see who voted what. I posted the question because as a hunter, I was curious what my fellow hunters thought about the subject. I agree these people are not and should never be considered "hunters." However, this is an issue related to hunting because it affects hunters.

I would also like to hear the opposing arguments, as that was part of the original intention of this post. But there's no real way to flush them out, and that's their choice.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

No problem with it. Poachers are taking my big bucks.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

know of a guy that was hunting with a buck decoy about 300 yards off the road and a truck stopped and shot at the decoy 3 or 4 times then when it didn't run off they found out it was fake and speed away luckily the guy that was in the stand didn't get shot and got the tags of the truck and the people were caught. i have been guiding at our lodge for 5 years now and have never seen a gw around there we have 1 for every like 7 counties give or take one heck i haven't seen a gw this year any where i have hunted.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Spike

I'm all for it.Anything to stop poachers from tarnishing the image of our sport!
And I agree with BC,the decoys they use are very life like,back in Wv where i'm from my neighbor was a DNR officer,and he told me they would set them up every year in the same apple orchard and every year they would get several poachers shooting them,one year he told me they got a guy who shot four times and was reloading when he pulled up behind him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.