Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leapers Scope fans???

Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Leapers Scope fans???

Hey guys!

Anyone have any thoughts on the Leapers brand of riflescopes? I know they say most guys are using them on air rifles, but anyonw have anything good/bad for a 7mm mag? I'm looking at a 4-16 x 50 for $72. Seems like even if it's bad, I could put it on a 22 or air rifle some day.
Thanks
Dandbuck
Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

for $99 you can get a refurbished Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Haven't heard anything bad about them. I have one that I bought new and am very happy with it. I'll definitely be saving the 50+ bucks for the next couple rifles I scope by going refurbished.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Spike

I'm a fan of anyone that produces quality stuff for a good price (and they ARE quality, just read the reviews by people whoaren't scope snobs) so they're alright in my book. Haven't bought one yet, but will probably purchasing a few for some .22's in need of scopes. Centerpoint also makes abnormally good scopes for the price.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
for $99 you can get a refurbished Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Haven't heard anything bad about them. I have one that I bought new and am very happy with it. I'll definitely be saving the 50+ bucks for the next couple rifles I scope by going refurbished.
My concern with Nikon is there seems to be an awful lot of refurbs out there....and they only carry 90 day warranties. I do admit to liking their scopes though.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Leapers has made a very short tubed scope for years and I have put a lot of them on my carbines and other peoples guns. I tried them because the only other available short tube scopes were the Weaver K series and the field of view on them is not to good. I always bought fixed power scopes and maybe that is why I had good luck with them. Over the years I found that when people have trouble with cheap scopes, it is usually with a scope that has adjustable power.
A few years ago I mounted a short 4x32 Leapers on an old single shot 12 gauge so I could use it for a slug gun. I ran a lot of boxes of slugs through it both hunting and at the range and it still works fine. Try that with some name brand rifle scopes and it would shake them apart. You better believe that a 18" barrel single shot 12 gauge really kicks.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bought a Leapers recently. Its 6-24x50 tactical with 30mm tube. Ive put it on my 243 win. $179
So far so good.
I bought it to shoot paper out to 400 yds. I hand load and once i create my drop tables, I have found the scope repeatable.

I set the 0 at 100 yards, i can click up to shoot at 2,3,4 hundred and then return back to 0 and still be dead on at 100.

So far i have about 200 rounds through it and its been fine. Not sure why but i'm still somewhat skeptical.

I'd be reluctant to throw it on the 7 mag but it might be fine there too
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
Last I checked you could get a new non refurbished Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 for $99. I'd never buy a refurbished Nikon just because they warranty is only 90 days. To me there isn't enough savings over new to give up the lifetime warranty though.

The Burris FFII is on sale at SWFA for $119 right now in 3-9x40 and is a much better scope than the Prostaff.

That being said, why would you even consider a Leapers? If I had to go with a cheap scope I'd go with Simmons, Bushnell, or Tasco for the most part. The Center Point 4-16x40 gets good reviews, but optically it's not that great. I've read it's the same as the Leapers. I've had experience with the Center Point, but not the Leapers one that's the same. The rest of the Leapers I've witnessed as well as have heard about have been crap.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone. I did end up getting it, so we will see, lol.
AS far as the nikon goes, I do not want a 3-9 power, that's what I am looking to replace. I have been real happy with my Bushnell scopes too, but the price was double for the power I wanted. I will put it on the 7MM and see ho whe holds up.
Dandbuck