Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

blood trails

Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Spike

Default blood trails

just wanted to know if anyone can help me. I'm colored blind and looking for easiest way to track blood when alone.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Spike

dang that really stinks im not sure how to help u there though i normally barely have to track i try to drop them where they are
Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too am colorblind (I know - it really sucks. )... I have heard of a number of products that make the blood "glow", so anyone can easily follow the blood trail.

Check out this product called "Blood Glow". It looks pretty cool, but I have never used it.

http://bloodglow.com/store/index.php...=index&cPath=1

I am more of a gun hunter (.308 rifle w/ scope) than I am a bowhunter (i.e. Bang! ....Flop.) I lost a beauty of a buck about 2 years ago with my bow, which still bothers me to this day. I literally couldn't find the blood trail at all and had no help. I ended up calling a buddy, and he and I tried and tried to find the buck, but the blood trail ran out and the buck was never found.

There's also some LED flashlights on the market, that have different colored lenses, that help make blood appear better. But again, I haven't used them.

I hope this helps a little. I just know how frustrating it is being color blind and how weird it is seeing blood literally disappear on the ground, on leaves, dirt, grass, weeds, and then you call a buddy over and he looks at you like, "Duh!" and instantly follows the blood trail...

BTW... Welcome to the forum!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

That is tough to overcome,
as sure reds/greens/browns are hardest to distinquish when color blind,
would say avoid bow hunting, and and gun hunt with something that drops them on the spot,
or bow hunt when ground is covered in snow.
or have a friend handy that can come in help
Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Spike

Default In the same boat

I too am color blind and have an extremely tough time finding downed game. Here are the things I have done:

1) Increased gun to .300 Win Mag shooting XP3's
2) Try yellow tinted lenses (will help in some light conditions)
3) Made friends with a guy with a tracking dog and have my local blood tracker group on my cell if he's not around.

Shot a nice 8 pt this year and I walked past lung chunks and blood 4 times before I got on my knees and saw it. Then called in the tracking dog. My buddy let the dog find it even though he could see the blood trail from the point of impact going into a cutover. Deer had only gone 45 yds. Ridiculous when someone asks "you can't see that?".
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Spike

Have you given any thought to infrared game tracking cameras? I think the price is coming down, just do some google searching.
I work with infrared quite often, I would think if you can get on a trail quickly even the blood trail would show some heat. Even though it is shown in color it might be better than the naked eye.
IMHO
Ron
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Spike

This really sucks. I couldn't imagine following a bloodtrail being colorblind. If I can remember correctly, there was or still is a product called " starlight bloodhound " it is very similar to what ButchA was talking about. I would check into some of these products, Im sure there is a variety to choose from these days. I certainly wouldn't give up hunting because of it. try the products out and see if they work for you. Set up a "mock" bloodtrail situation. The next time you go to the store and buy steaks or a roast, poor the blood out on some grass and leaves in a similar way that a bloodtrail would be and spray some of the product on it and see if it helps. I have never used starlight bloodhound before, so I don't know if it glows in the daytime or if it only glows in the dark. I would search around for products such as these and go from there. Good luck and God bless you.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Spike

Hear is an example of the led lights for trackng
Something like this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos174-BLOODHUNTER174-Blood-Trailing-Spotlight/746746.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2 Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fs ch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgame%2Bfinde r&Ntt=game+finder

Reviews on Cabelas are about 50% either way.

Ron

Last edited by ronmc1954; 12-22-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the same boat. It's really tough in archery when all the leaves on the ground are red as well.

I see these sprays that bring out the blood. But, how do you know where to spray it?

I usually get someone to help.

We use orange ribbons to mark routes to stands. The guys laugh becuase I have trouble picking them out in the fall woods. Mine are all white.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I bought one of the Gerber blood tracking lights a couple of years ago and tried it on some beef blood in the yard and IMHO it wasn't worth a dime, I sent it back. Best option I would suggest would be to take your family dog, or get a small dog of some kind and train it to be a blood tracking dog. It would be a good companion, good family dog and you could help others in your area locate lost deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.