HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   info on hunting in Missouri/Illinois! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/336772-info-hunting-missouri-illinois.html)

BRbowhunt 12-21-2010 08:36 AM

info on hunting in Missouri/Illinois!

Hey yall! Im from south Louisiana and me and my fiancee are looking to relocate within the next year, possibly to an area such as Missouri, Illinois, or Iowa. Will be staying a year or longer if we like it. Weve never been to any of these areas and would love some info or opinions on what the best places to work/live/hunt are. We are both big waterfowl and whitetail hunters and prefer bowhunting. We would also like to be in a state convenient to other big game such as elk. Any other info on weather conditions, population, pretty much anything would be helpful....but our main concern besides finding a job is being in a place that we can take advantage of great hunting. Thanks!:)

MizzouMonster 12-21-2010 09:30 AM

You should look into South Dakota. I say that going off what you're interested in.

hammerdown45 12-21-2010 11:41 AM

I live in Missouri and we are reintroducing elk here because apparently we ran out. I don't know how long it will be before we can hunt them but I was just throwing that out there.

blackhawk_archery 12-21-2010 12:02 PM

I would say if you want big bucks move to Missouri or Iowa,I think land is pretty cheap in Missouri compared to Ill.

blackhawk_archery 12-21-2010 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by hammerdown45 (Post 3745400)
I live in Missouri and we are reintroducing elk here because apparently we ran out. I don't know how long it will be before we can hunt them but I was just throwing that out there.

Must be nice I would love to try some elk meat.

BRbowhunt 12-21-2010 12:11 PM

thanks yall. I think were looking at Columbia, MO now. Hopefully if the job works out we could be there in the next couple of months. It seems like a pretty nice place and i cant beleive how cheap housing is there.

crenshaw 12-21-2010 12:14 PM

Id Check out the Platte River in Nebraska.. Good Waterfowl, great whitetails, and good muleys... Not to mention big farms you can maybe lease or buy or get access.. Also, close to the Rockies for other big game, granted not much of a night life or jobs...

If i had my choice to just pick up and go, take me back to my where my family comes from, Wyoming!

BRbowhunt 12-21-2010 12:31 PM

ive been to jackson hole and it was awesome there. Too small of a town to live permanately but great vacation spot. First time seeing snow and elk so i was in heaven lol

warbirdlover 12-21-2010 08:01 PM

Most of Wisconsin is rifle. So are the Dakotas and I "think" Nebraska. Illinois and Iowa are mostly shotgun only. If it matters.