Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoulder Shots on Whitetail

Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

You don't know what we were talking about or what you are talking about. The windpipe and esophagus are right next to each other and on a frontal shot you hit both. I was with a poacher when I was a kid and saw it done with a .22 long rifle. That is the way he always did it, said the brain was chancy.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The windpipe and esophagus are right next to each other and on a frontal shot you hit both.
yes, and you take out the spine right behind them. This is what would drop a deer. Especially with a 22.

A 22 hole in the trachea would be like giving the deer a tracheotomy. The diaphragm would still pull air into the lungs, just through the hole and the mouth. The esophagus would only be a problem if the deer were trying to swallow food. Unless they were very hungry, they wouldn't starve to death instantly

The spine will drop the deer instantly. The carotid and jugular, very quickly. Esophagus and windpipe are just incidental injuries and would not be the primary cause of death unless it was from bleeding out or infection. Both not instant.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Very timely subject for me. I intend to use a shoulder shot on the next deer I get where I hunt because like you, I have a small area to hunt and can't track them off the property. I know a shoulder shot is a sure thing with my 30-06 and figured it would be for blackpowder as well. But a couple posts here have me worried. I am using 100 gr of pellets with a 250 gr SST and was hoping for an exit wound. Sounds like with a shoulder shot, I might not even get through the vitals.
You should be ok as long as the ammo you use is jacketed and not just plain solid lead.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default BarnesX .308 -

Like I said before, I actually witnessed it happen. You can walk up on them and the deer will get to its feet and run, but will only go two or three steps and drop. A neck shot in the bone and they would never get up. This guy told me it drops them every time and he had plenty of experience with a .22, although he did get caught years later and paid thousands in fines. I never used less than a center fire for deer, but if I had a gun that could not break the shoulder and drop that deer I would get rid of it. I have used a .223 and .22 Hi-Power and both will break the shoulder. You really can't go much lighter than that.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Spike

You can put an entry wound wherever you want, exit wound is a different story. My last deer I shot in high shoulder bullet came out half way up the neck. (7mm Mag) High shoulder doesnt directly hit vitals, but the bone fragments do with large caliber and do more damage than bullet. High shoulder is my choice on a trophy buck, drops 99% of time.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Spike

Shoulder shot is my shot of choice. Drops them in their tracks.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Spike

Don't ever go for a head shot! It moves too fast and you can never tell when! Heart lungs all the way. With a 50 cal bullet you should have no problems. I haven't at least.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
yes, and you take out the spine right behind them. This is what would drop a deer. Especially with a 22.

A 22 hole in the trachea would be like giving the deer a tracheotomy. The diaphragm would still pull air into the lungs, just through the hole and the mouth. The esophagus would only be a problem if the deer were trying to swallow food. Unless they were very hungry, they wouldn't starve to death instantly

The spine will drop the deer instantly. The carotid and jugular, very quickly. Esophagus and windpipe are just incidental injuries and would not be the primary cause of death unless it was from bleeding out or infection. Both not instant.
Very true Barnes, thats why trachs are done sometimes in the ER to secure airways. Without damage to the lungs or a occluded airway the animal can still breath. No question about that.