HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Buck And Doe Tracks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/336753-buck-doe-tracks.html)

blackhawk_archery 12-20-2010 09:45 PM

Buck And Doe Tracks

I have to bring this argument up again lol sorry,I was showing the buck and doe track early in the year and most was saying no you are wrong you can not tell the difference,well I am still not convinced I am not sure if the hooves are different in your states or what but I have always been able to tell a buck track from a doe track,and the reason I bring it back up is someone posted Roger Raglin up and I had got to watching him on you tube I had never seen the guy before until then he is a funny guy and a good hunter with what appeared to be over 100 or more mounts on his wall anyway getting back to the point he mentions the buck track and zooms the camera on it sure enough he has the same opinions I have,the buck track will always be split apart on a heavy mature buck something that very rarely would you see on a doe track,its not just the mud I see it in the snow where a herd of doe has browsed in the snow and then a single bucks tracks going thru with the split toes,so can someone prove me wrong with actual video of does and a mature buck leaving fresh tracks.

Bloodsaw 12-20-2010 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery (Post 3745098)
I have to bring this argument up again lol sorry,I was showing the buck and doe track early in the year and most was saying no you are wrong you can not tell the difference,well I am still not convinced I am not sure if the hooves are different in your states or what but I have always been able to tell a buck track from a doe track,and the reason I bring it back up is someone posted Roger Raglin up and I had got to watching him on you tube I had never seen the guy before until then he is a funny guy and a good hunter with what appeared to be over 100 or more mounts on his wall anyway getting back to the point he mentions the buck track and zooms the camera on it sure enough he has the same opinions I have,the buck track will always be split apart on a heavy mature buck something that very rarely would you see on a doe track,its not just the mud I see it in the snow where a herd of doe has browsed in the snow and then a single bucks tracks going thru with the split toes,so can someone prove me wrong with actual video of does and a mature buck leaving fresh tracks.

Ive heard sometimes u cant tell, but Ive looked at tracks after watched a buck walk a field and such, and they have always had split toes

jrbsr 12-21-2010 01:29 AM

Maybe this will help.

http://www.huntingnet.com/staticpage...il.aspx?id=149

skinnnner 12-21-2010 07:10 AM

yes most times a buck track will have a wider split because well they weigh more.if you were to compare a young bucks tracks to a does u might not see the diffrence,in winter a buck is also most likely to drag his feet leaveing drag marks in the snow,but not everthing is writen in stone.

Rebel Hog 12-21-2010 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery (Post 3745098)

romat 12-21-2010 07:57 AM

I think GENERALLY a mature or near mature buck track is wider and the hooves do spread apart when they walk, maybe because of body wieght, So an unusually large doe can have sread hooves also. And they sometimes do it for more support on soft ground or snow. As for dragging hooves I have seen bucks and does do this. The other side of the coin is that my nephew shot a young doe that had comically huge feet!.....

Gunplummer 12-21-2010 09:51 AM

Good info from the other guys, but I agree, not 100% reliable. A 150 pound doe will have the split track also. Same with the feet dragging theory. I usually would say yes, but it is not 100% all the time.

Wildbill51 12-21-2010 11:45 AM

I thought I could tell the difference too, and perhaps most of the time you can but.....
a few years ago I was tracking a "buck", six inch print with a really wide split toe imprint. The snow made for good tracking. When I caught up to it in its bed I thought it must be a buck that had already lost his antlers. I had an antlerless permit, shot the animal, only to find out it was a doe. She was really big, dressed out at over 180 pounds. Go figure!