Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Roger Raglin

Old 12-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I really like him, he is a little goofy acting but so am I. But I really like his show.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

I know a guy that use to guide for him. He told me quite a few stories.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Roger Raglin came to central Wisconsin a few years ago, hunted on public DNR hunting land, went farther in then most hunters would go and shot a buck that would make the record book.

I do not believe there is another guy on tv that has the skill to do that. Not one other one. Jackie Bushman? No way. Mr. Whitetail? No way. Mike Hanback? LOL!!! They all need a guide to lead them to the deer and tell them which one to shoot (after it's been released from it's cage). Canned hunt heros.

I like David Morris (Bucks of Tecomate). Jim Shockey I believe is legit.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Roger Raglin came to central Wisconsin a few years ago, hunted on public DNR hunting land, went farther in then most hunters would go and shot a buck that would make the record book.

I do not believe there is another guy on tv that has the skill to do that. Not one other one. Jackie Bushman? No way. Mr. Whitetail? No way. Mike Hanback? LOL!!! They all need a guide to lead them to the deer and tell them which one to shoot (after it's been released from it's cage). Canned hunt heros.

I like David Morris (Bucks of Tecomate). Jim Shockey I believe is legit.
I like Roger Raglin's show. He seems like a good guy and very down to earth. He makes hunting shows that are realistic. I like how he has filmed hunts on public land, and doesn't constantly use game preserves and guides.

Jackie Bushman? Oh, puh-leeze... I could write a whole book, but I won't... I'll just say this: How a former NCAA college tennis star get a hunting show is beyond me.

Mike Hanback? I have a few personal "issues" with him. He is from Winchester, Virginia, and has publicly done more PR damage to Virginia's game dept (DGIF - Dept of Game & Inland Fisheries) than they have themselves. He doesn't hunt in Virginia - at all - but always goes to out of state big game ranch outfitters and always has to use guides for his show. He has even bad mouthed the quality of deer in Virginia in articles, blogs, and on TV. Worse yet: Myself and countless others have been pushing Virginia's General Assembly and the DGIF to start allowing hunting on Sunday. Mike Hanback went on TV and publicly slammed the notion of hunting on Sunday - even though he doesn't hunt in his own state!

David Morris (along with Jeff Foxworthy) and the "Bucks of Tecomate" is okay, but, it is what it is. It is nothing but a massive "deer farm" where they biologically grow massive B&C bucks. It is not hunting in my opinion, it is "shooting". Granted they have like a massive 5000 acre open ranch (no high fences), but the deer are all just standing around feeding in food plots. You don't have to study the wind, be as scent free as possible, and stalk ever so slowly, to have any chance of even seeing a public land buck. I'm a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter anyway.

Jim Shockey is legit. He knows his stuff and comes across as a cool guy. True story: A former boss of mine and some friends of his, all went on a big elk hunt out to Colorado a few years back. They bumped into Jim Shockey and his crew who were out filming an elk hunt. Instead of acting all arrogant or getting all nasty to them, Jim Shockey and his crew were real friendly and welcomed them. They all studied topo maps, and from what my former boss said, Jim Shockey helped guide them around the other ridge and asked them to hunt there. He and his crew went back to film the hunt where they were. That way they could push elk to my former boss and his buddies, and they too could push elk over to Jim Shockey and his crew. Not many "TV stars" would do that for just anybody.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

I always liked Roger Raglins show and his attitude towards the sport in general. I saw him play piano on one of his shows and he was pretty darn good. I did not realize that he had been ill. I went to the big Sportsmans show in Richmond at the end of last summer. Lee and Tiffany were there and Roger was supposed to be there as well. I walked in and there was a big crowd around Lee and Tiffany and I just happened to walk up on Rogers little stand and no one was even near him. I shook his hand and told him how much I admired his show and all and he was just as down to earth as he is on his show. Really nice guy.....
Old 12-23-2010, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lone cedar farm
Lot of people dont know how sick he was last year when he was diagnosed with Gillian Barre Disease. He had to endure many infusions and learn to walk all over again, luckily he was one of the few that recover fully and glad hes back doing what he loves!
My wife's aunt has that and is bedridden in a nursing home with no signs of recovery.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a Roger Raglin fan. If you don't like that goof you just don't lke anyone. He is a Christian too which is a another + for me to like him.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

There are some new shows on versus that I just hate and feel aren't doing the image of hunting any good... Gun It with Bennie Spies and Razor Dobbs. Are these guys supposed to be low class Ted Nugent whanabe's?