HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Most Acorns I've ever seen. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/336688-most-acorns-ive-ever-seen.html)

dpv 12-19-2010 06:48 PM

Most Acorns I've ever seen.

This year the acorn crop has been outrageous. I can't ever remember a December where I'm seeing acorns all over the forest floor. Yesterday as I was walking thru the woods, i saw bushels of them. Last week I also noticed a boat load in other areas of the woods. During the rut I saw lots of deer but since it ended they just don't seem to be moving much. I guess they don't really need to if food is this plentiful.

VAhuntr 12-19-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by dpv (Post 3744421)
This year the acorn crop has been outrageous. I can't ever remember a December where I'm seeing acorns all over the forest floor. Yesterday as I was walking thru the woods, i saw bushels of them. Last week I also noticed a boat load in other areas of the woods. During the rut I saw lots of deer but since it ended they just don't seem to be moving much. I guess they don't really need to if food is this plentiful.

I don't ever remember a season with any more acorns, that's for sure.

SecondChance 12-19-2010 07:41 PM

Lots of acorns, no deer!?!??!?! Somethings up? Must be the Govt.!!:happy0157:

rlpsystems 12-20-2010 03:48 AM

I betcha that "blind squirrel" is fat and happy

rlpsystems 12-20-2010 03:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thats a gut shot doe exit. Notice all of the acorn bits there. All the deer I've shot this year have had a belly full of nuts.

MD DEERHUNTER 12-20-2010 04:46 AM

Same here, I gut shot a deer 2-weeks ago and when I opened him up 90% of his stomach as acorns.

Stonewall308 12-20-2010 01:08 PM

I try not to shoot them in the guts.

BGHunter55 12-20-2010 02:42 PM

I have the same problem here as well. The mountain is full of oaks and all the oaks are dropping mountains of acorns and the activity has been really slow. Sure I can go somewhere else to hunt and I probably should because this has been the case the last two years. My family hasn't filled a tag the past two years because of it, I've at least been lucky there and filled mine. Still hunting might be the best thing to do and if you hunt from a stand, get as close to there beds as possible without spooking them near the thick stuff, if thats possible. Still its surprising how hear I can go into a cedar swamp and still find acorns all over in there with the few oaks that make it in there, makes it an uphill battle.

superstrutter 12-20-2010 04:57 PM

Same problem down here in LA., and I mean problem. White oak acorns everywhere. There are trees dropping huge acorns that through all the years I have hunted my property have never seen a single acorn on. It's unbelievable. Of course, the deer sightings are way down this year. I killed an 8 point on Nov. 18. Since then I have seen only one decent buck, a few spikes, and very few does. I don't think I have even seen a deer in my last three or four hunts. That never happens. The acorns have all dropped now and most are probably soured, but deer movement is still pretty much all at night. Too much of a good thing is not always good.

lone cedar farm 12-21-2010 05:30 AM

everyone from Virginia is saying that this year, hope it hits us next year!