Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Most Acorns I've ever seen.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default Most Acorns I've ever seen.

This year the acorn crop has been outrageous. I can't ever remember a December where I'm seeing acorns all over the forest floor. Yesterday as I was walking thru the woods, i saw bushels of them. Last week I also noticed a boat load in other areas of the woods. During the rut I saw lots of deer but since it ended they just don't seem to be moving much. I guess they don't really need to if food is this plentiful.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
This year the acorn crop has been outrageous. I can't ever remember a December where I'm seeing acorns all over the forest floor. Yesterday as I was walking thru the woods, i saw bushels of them. Last week I also noticed a boat load in other areas of the woods. During the rut I saw lots of deer but since it ended they just don't seem to be moving much. I guess they don't really need to if food is this plentiful.

I don't ever remember a season with any more acorns, that's for sure.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of acorns, no deer!?!??!?! Somethings up? Must be the Govt.!!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

I betcha that "blind squirrel" is fat and happy
Old 12-20-2010, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a gut shot doe exit. Notice all of the acorn bits there. All the deer I've shot this year have had a belly full of nuts.
Attached Thumbnails Most Acorns I've ever seen.-img00145-20101210-0841-1-.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Same here, I gut shot a deer 2-weeks ago and when I opened him up 90% of his stomach as acorns.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

I try not to shoot them in the guts.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Spike

I have the same problem here as well. The mountain is full of oaks and all the oaks are dropping mountains of acorns and the activity has been really slow. Sure I can go somewhere else to hunt and I probably should because this has been the case the last two years. My family hasn't filled a tag the past two years because of it, I've at least been lucky there and filled mine. Still hunting might be the best thing to do and if you hunt from a stand, get as close to there beds as possible without spooking them near the thick stuff, if thats possible. Still its surprising how hear I can go into a cedar swamp and still find acorns all over in there with the few oaks that make it in there, makes it an uphill battle.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same problem down here in LA., and I mean problem. White oak acorns everywhere. There are trees dropping huge acorns that through all the years I have hunted my property have never seen a single acorn on. It's unbelievable. Of course, the deer sightings are way down this year. I killed an 8 point on Nov. 18. Since then I have seen only one decent buck, a few spikes, and very few does. I don't think I have even seen a deer in my last three or four hunts. That never happens. The acorns have all dropped now and most are probably soured, but deer movement is still pretty much all at night. Too much of a good thing is not always good.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Spike

everyone from Virginia is saying that this year, hope it hits us next year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.