Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need Your Opinion on Aging These Texas Bucks >

Need Your Opinion on Aging These Texas Bucks

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Your Opinion on Aging These Texas Bucks

Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Spike

Default Need Your Opinion on Aging These Texas Bucks

Hey Guys,
A friend of mine sent me these pics asking if I had any idea on age (I am pretty sure most of these are different bucks - one or two pics may be the same guy.) I am really trying to educate myself on aging deer by appearance (as very few are willing to walk up and show you their teeth ). I figure this is the best place to go about it as their is never a shortage of opinions I cant wait to hear what you think about some of these guys (although some pics may be tough to tell). Thank you all in advance

#4 (Same Deer as #7 - just different angle)

#10 My favorite
Old 12-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I think 5 and 8 are the same deer and I think its the oldest one of the pics even though his rack is pitiful. He looks scraggly and bad genes! number 6 looks 2 and a half, number 4 may be 1 and a half and he is going to be nice in a couple years, number nine looks to have a real nice rack but hard to tell age with the pic same with number 10... Im no expert though these are just my opinions
Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Spike

Thank you for taking the time to look and share your opinion.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

No problem, always love to look at trail cam pics!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think 5 & 8 are the same deer also but there is no way it's the oldest deer. That deer is 3.5 years old tops. The neck is thin and does not extend down to the brisket like it would on a mature deer. The the chest isn't deep at all, the belly is tucked up tight and the back is straight. This is a young deer.

I would say that 1, 2, 6 are all 4.5 - 5.5 years old with #1 being the 5.5.

#3 is 1.5 years old
#4 and 7 are 3.5 years old

#9 & 10 is real hard to get a good enough look.

That's my two cents.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

the photo quality isnt so hot in those pics but I dont see another in these pics thats older. I just think its the oldest out of all the pics

number four and seven doesnt even touch 3.5.. Look at how small its body is, Its got a nice rack for a young deer but thats exactly what i think it is, an immature buck

Last edited by kyslayer; 12-19-2010 at 04:03 PM.