Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What leveraction for brush gun >

What leveraction for brush gun

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What leveraction for brush gun

Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
There is such a thing as a brush gun. It is a short, light weight, quick handling little rifle that is easy to carry around and quick to get a shot off with.

Now, there is no such thing as a brush bullet. If a bullet hits brush of any kind it will be deflected.

Some great brush guns are the Marlin rifles (I have the 444 marlin) and Ruger compact M77's (I like the laminate compact).
Right on!!........Even a .50 cal will deflect with a twig!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Spike

For all intents and purposes, most lever guns where and still are considered ideal for hunting in brushy areas. Short, quick and light. A marlin 336 or winchester 94 chambered in 30-30 is a very fine choice. Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70 is another fine choice, but ammo prices of the 45-70 are alot more than the 30-30 ( atleast in my area they are ) Winchester made a model 88 lever that is chambered in many configurations which would also make a fine gun for brushy hunting. ( for all of you out there that are lucky enough to have a model 88, I envy you, I am still looking for a nice one at a decent price) Ruger made the model 96 which you can find chambered in .44 mag which would also be a nice choice for what you want to do. Out to 100 yards you should be fine with the 44 mag. Browning has the blr, which is chambered in many choices. savage made the 99, if you can find one that has a shorter barrel, it would be great too. The couple Savage 99's that I have seem to have pretty long barrels. I don't know how short they made the 99 barrels from the factory. There are also a buttload of semi auto carbines that where made by Remington, Winchester (model 100), and the Browning bar that would be awsome!!!!!

Gee, with all this talking about some of these guns, I feel like going out and buying a bunch of them, but I currently don't have the funds to so that sucks.
There are plenty of guns to choose from out there that will suit you just fine. Go out, pick them up, handle them, draw it up to your shoulder and find the one that feels best to you. Good luck and God bless.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt bears with hounds, we have to go through some pretty thick brush, the gun I use when doing this is a stainless Marlin 1895GS Guide Gun in 45-70. A small, quick handling rifle that it very accurate and packs a big punch, capable of killing anything in North America.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Horn Armory .500 S&W model 89 lever action.
Capable of killing anything and accurate.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Win 94 AE 'Trapper' chambered in 30-30 that has been reemed out to 30-30 Ackley Improved. Whole gun is about as long as a yard stick and I have taken deer with it out to 225 yards. They certainly don't make the short 94s anymore, and the new 94s that are coming out in 2011 are going to be made in the orient and msrp is up over a grand. Look for a good used one if you want to go the winchester route.

Remington made the 760 for decades, and they made them in several different chamberings. They are nice and point like an 870 (have about the same trigger too), but you can get off a quick second shot if need be, and the one my grandfather handed down to me in 30-06 shoots sub MOA with 165gr factory loads. They can often be found very reasonably priced on the used rack at almost any gun shop.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I have the Marlin 336 C in .35 Remington which I love, but ammo is harder to find.
Same here,not only hard to find but when you find it it's pushing $30 a box.I guess the popularity of the round is dieing.

Anyway to answer your question I'd buy the Marlin 336 in 30-30 cal. They're well made guns,have a light recoil and make an effective medium size game rifle out 150 yards or so.

Last edited by jerry d; 12-19-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Marlin 336 .35 Remington...I shure love mine...cost of the ammo is getting pretty high now...but I'll keep on using it. Great rifle and caliber.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Marlin 336 30-30 ..Walmart..350.00 ..groups the size of a quarter at 100yds..using standard Walmart brand WInchester Hollow Points..both deer shot with this rifle were dropped in thier tracks..
However..for the same price you can get a Remington 700 270 cal..which is better..can be used for brush or long open shots..
Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Spike

Well I think I have found a gun I like. Now I would like to see one in person. I like the Marlin 1895SBL in 45-70. Since I will primarily be using it in the Mountains of North Carolina I felt it had the best to offer. I don't need a long shooting gun, just a short easy to handle rifle with some nock down power. Since it is always raing or snowing when I'm there it seemed to have the right construction. Any one seen one or have any experiance. Oh yeah, thanks for all the advice and in put. It was very helpfull.