Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Adrenaline Rush??????

Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely more with bow - pretty much as soon as I realize its a shot opprutunity. I've bowhunted 25 years - and literally only the last few years have I been able to control my nerves consistantly. After the shot with a bow - I'm pretty shook, I just cannot help it. At least I've learned to focus its effects after the shot.

With a gun - I usually go into auto-pilot. I don't know a better way to describe it. Growing up - I shot guns a lot - more than anyone I know growing up today. All those years of shooting (open sights, pass shooting, scopes, etc) - when I decide to shoot - I couldn't be more calm - Everything goes into slow motion - and a 150 yd freehand shot feels more like a shot at 20 yds with a solid rest. Everything slows down. I can't explain it better than that. I do definitely get an adrenaline rush - but its different than with a bow. Even after the shot - I'm pumped but not shook, not at all.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by farm hunter
Definitely more with bow - pretty much as soon as I realize its a shot opprutunity. I've bowhunted 25 years - and literally only the last few years have I been able to control my nerves consistantly. After the shot with a bow - I'm pretty shook, I just cannot help it. At least I've learned to focus its effects after the shot.

With a gun - I usually go into auto-pilot. I don't know a better way to describe it. Growing up - I shot guns a lot - more than anyone I know growing up today. All those years of shooting (open sights, pass shooting, scopes, etc) - when I decide to shoot - I couldn't be more calm - Everything goes into slow motion - and a 150 yd freehand shot feels more like a shot at 20 yds with a solid rest. Everything slows down. I can't explain it better than that. I do definitely get an adrenaline rush - but its different than with a bow. Even after the shot - I'm pumped but not shook, not at all.
That is almost exactly how it happens for me too. My dad and I have shot ALOT since I was very very young, so it is nearly automatic for me when I have a gun in my hand. The rush comes after the shot, generally when I am walking up to the animal. With my bow I do everything still hunting or spot and stalk. I am pretty much jacked all of the time, but more like on high alert rather than an adrenaline rush. My hearing gets better, my vision is better at picking up movement, and I feel far more graceful than my 6'7" would normally let me be. Sometimes though I do get the rush before the shot. The deer in my avatar pic was a specific deer that I had been looking for, and when I found him I had to set and watch him for a few minutes to get my breathing under control and become Mr. Automatic again. First real case of buck fever that I have had. But like I said, the rush comes while retrieving the animal and thanking the good Lord all the way for the opportunity to feed my family and for the wonderful experience!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Spike

For me it's like being in a car accident that you can see coming but you can't do anything to avoid it. As it's happening, time takes on a different dimension as I live the experience but I'm so focused that I don't shake. It's after the accident (or the shot) that I start shaking.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

after...

maybe I'm able to control the adrenaline in the moment? and get the shakes once it wears off? not really sure...

but to me it feels more like it's worn off after and then the shakes etc...happen.

plus does you know good to shake before you shoot! haha.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Spike

"Must suck If you dont get the shakes anymore. Its part of the thrill of the hunt. I have heard a lot of people say that when you lose the shakes you may as well quite hunting..."

Well, you would be making a mistake to follow those folks advice. I remember the shakes, had them a few times early in my hunting career. That was over 35 years ago.
Many things have changed over the years. Time, experience and success softens the rush somewhat but I'm not gonna quit hunting because I don't pee in my pants every time a deer steps out.
In fact, I enjoy the hunt as much or even more now. Lots of stuff happens before, during and after the shot. A cool head helps you analyze what happened. A cool head allows me to pay proper respect to the animal that I just killed. A cool head allows me the time to soak in every moment of the hunt, to commit it to memory so that I can enjoy it over and over again in my mind.
I prefer a satisfied smile and a quick thanks to the man upstairs for the hunt. If you prefer to fall apart because you saw a cowhorn that's okay to, just don't denigrate my hunting experience because it doesn't meet your lower standards.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scatter shot
"Must suck If you dont get the shakes anymore. Its part of the thrill of the hunt. I have heard a lot of people say that when you lose the shakes you may as well quite hunting..."

Well, you would be making a mistake to follow those folks advice. I remember the shakes, had them a few times early in my hunting career. That was over 35 years ago.
Many things have changed over the years. Time, experience and success softens the rush somewhat but I'm not gonna quit hunting because I don't pee in my pants every time a deer steps out.
In fact, I enjoy the hunt as much or even more now. Lots of stuff happens before, during and after the shot. A cool head helps you analyze what happened. A cool head allows me to pay proper respect to the animal that I just killed. A cool head allows me the time to soak in every moment of the hunt, to commit it to memory so that I can enjoy it over and over again in my mind.
I prefer a satisfied smile and a quick thanks to the man upstairs for the hunt. If you prefer to fall apart because you saw a cowhorn that's okay to, just don't denigrate my hunting experience because it doesn't meet your lower standards.

SO NOW WE HAVE LOWER STANDARDS FOR SHAKING??? Welcome to the forum to you youn jack dick... go back to where you came from. This is a forum for sharing experiences and giving advice not degrading other hunters.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Spike

What's got you so wound up my friend?

The point that I was making is that I disagreed with what his daddy's, daddy's, great granddaddy told him, "..... I have heard a lot of people say that when you lose the shakes you may as well quite hunting..."
Do you really believe that? Should a hunter really stop hunting because he doesn't get "jacked up" over killing a deer? Really?
Well, that's just about the dumbest thing I ever heard!

Have a good day my friend, it is obvious that you will be hunting for many years to come as it seems that you are a very excitable type of person.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Black bears with a bow Now there's a rush. who is the prey now LOL!!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

whats got me wound up is you saying something about "denigrating your hunting to lower standards" which I dont understand why you would say that anyways. either way its not a big deal... happy hunting!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

I've let so many deer walk this year I only get it when I see a big buck now and sometimes when I hear one trotting around and it just doesn't want to come out... it kinda freaks because I start thinking of what might walk out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.