Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. >

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Spike

Default I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Ok, this is my first post here.

I've been hunting whitetails for 3 seasons now, in Northern Ohio. I get out every chance I get (usually on the weekends) and hunt primarily with my Tenpoint Titan. I did get a chance to go out 1 day of gun season this year and took my Super Redhawk .44.

So far in those 3 seasons, I've taken 1 shot. It was around 75 yards, with the revolver. I missed. It happens. I wouldn't call my hunts unsucessful, as I enjoy being out in the woods, and have a good time overall. I just wish I could get my chance to take a deer.

I'm kind of just ranting here, but if anyone has any advice, I'll take it. I normally get out before daylight, and, with my climber, go up around 20 ft. I'll sit for anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. I use scent control, on my body and my clothing.

Could it be that I am just setting up in the wrong location? This is my first season with permission for private land. I'm fairly certain the woods I'm in isn't over hunted. I've hunted public land during the previous 2 seasons, and I think there is just to much pressure there.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

How many acres you hunting,if you are setting that many hours and not seeing anything then you need to be moving to a new location,find a good used trail and hunt it,if you have snow on the ground you should have no problem finding the trail the deer are using,if you have to leave the stand alone and hunt off of downed trees until you are able to see where all the movement is taking place.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you seen any deer sign at all?

* Rubs
* Scrapes
* Deer droppings
* Well worn paths

Is there a nearby food source?

Sounds simple but you have to hunt where the deer actually are.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

3 season and one shot I would be ranting as well,you need to study the ground a little more,find tracks and deer nuggets,its to late now but next year look for rub lines and scrapes,find you a good deer hunting book on ebay or at the book store.2 bucks for this book here,http://cgi.ebay.com/Hunting-Whitetai...item20b5d61f26.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Spike

I'm not sure on the acreage, I'd say 100 yards wide, by 600 or 700 yards long. Corn stubble on the sides. There are definitely some rubs and scraps that are recent. There is 1 corner that is all tore up. I've seen some does in these woods, just not close enough for a shot.

I know that they're here, maybe they know that I'm here too.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Spike

You can bet that I'll be out this weekend for our final 2 day gun season. Maybe lady luck will be on my side. Her and everyone else out pushing the surrounding areas.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

You got an over head shot of the property. There could be a number of things going on.

VA
Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Spike

Here is a Google Earth image. It's the long narrow woods in the center.
Attached Thumbnails I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.-fritz-woods.jpg  
Old 12-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a great spot to me.Have you tried still hunting real slow into the wind.If your spending that much time in a stand and nothing is happening then its time to make something happen.When I saw real slow I mean like an hour to move 100 yds or less and glassing thoroughly.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Spike

Look for sign of deer like mentiond above. Maybe youve burn the the spot out and theyve got you patterned. And id sujest trading you pistol for a rifle if the laws allow it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.