Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
This Is Why I Don't Like Straps. >

This Is Why I Don't Like Straps.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This Is Why I Don't Like Straps.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vest and a lifeline so you are attached would have prevented the fall as well.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Johnny,
Yesterday I was going to order new Summit Cables for my climber..I changed my mind.After reading this article..I'll be calling cabelas within 30 minutes..thanks for sharing,
\C7
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

My first day hunting the 2010 Wisconsin bow season nearly became my last.
Thanks for the repies.
Except it wasn't me that fell.
It was a hunter from Wisconsin, im in North Carolina.

I just thought you might be safer in your stand by reading this.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

We know that Johnny..if it were you you wouldn't be firing that 45 ..{ -;
Old 12-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Vest and a lifeline so you are attached would have prevented the fall as well.
This person said it nicer than what I would have. You're lucky to still be alive. A safety vest and a lifeline for a total of 200 bucks is definetly worth buying to prevent the accident that happened to you. Please learn from this man's error of not taking the proper precautions before using a lock-on stand and climbing steps. What does matter is that you are ok, but this lecture is known as tough love. Be safe my friend and to the rest of you all.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

He had made that climb hundreds of times before. I wonder how many times he changed the straps. A little preventive maintenance will save ya every time.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Paratroopers are constantly checking their straps!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Checkups on the stands, Saftey Harness w/ saftey line. Would of 100% saved him from that fall. I am sorry to say that, there are so many hunters that dont do any of that. Thats why there are some who die from falls out of a stand. Please let this be a reminder to strap onto that tree before accending, deccending, and while sitting in the stand.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Spike

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/tr...die-after-fall
Link was broken. thought I'd repost it
Old 09-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

This is why we have a crew that goes from state to state that we hunt, to do the necessary field work to make sure everything is in order for someone to safely hunt from any stand. The nylon straps have all been replaced with chain, which is adjusted every year so it is not growing into the tree. The straps on each stick are checked for wear and tightness. When you check the strap, if you pluck it like a guitar string and it sings to you, it is too tight. Stands and sticks need to be checked on a regular basis. As a tree grows, it will encompass the strap or chain used to attach it and even grow over the stand. (As mentioned, squirrels and even mice will chew any part they can chew.) If not checked it will weaken and even snap straps and chain. This is why we adjust every stand whether it looks like it needs it or not. Safety 1st, always. We also issue a safety harness to anyone who doesn't have one.

We are all out there because we love to hunt. Whether it is for horns or meat or both. Always wear your harness when climbing or sitting in your stand. I know there are many hunters who don't like wearing them, BUT, think about your friends and family, they are counting on you to be there for years to come. Cne fall is all it takes to get your pass to see the Pearly Gates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.