Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
This Is Why I Don't Like Straps. >

This Is Why I Don't Like Straps.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This Is Why I Don't Like Straps.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Default This Is Why I Don't Like Straps.

This is why I don't like tree stands, or steps with straps, for deer hunting.

"I'm Going to Die" After Fall
My first day hunting the 2010 Wisconsin bow season nearly became my last.

On Nov. 8, I went to hunt a 40-acre wooded lot in the central part of the state. I have hunted the land more than 20 years. Although it is small, it features a nice oak ridge, creek bottom and small pines with good underbrush.

After reaching my chosen tree stand, I began the climb I had made hundreds of times before. I used climbing sticks strapped to the trunk to make my way up the tree.

As I crested the 24-foot climb and stepped onto the stand, the strap holding the climbing stick to the tree snapped. I began a long journey back toward the ground. My life flashed before my eyes. All I could think was "It's all gone" and "I'm going to die."

I hit the ground. I was alive, but I had doubts about my future.

I was bleeding from my ears, nose and mouth. When I tried to move my arms and legs, the pain in my back became excruciating. But I needed to get back my jacket near the tree, since my cell phone was in the pocket. Ten feet separated me and a rescue. But I couldn’t move.

I cried out for help. No response. No one was around.

I needed to get to that tree. The fact I was still alive made me realize someone had more in store for me. I had no choice but to crawl.

To read more go here --> http://deeranddeerhunting.com/articl...ie-after-fall/
Old 12-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Spike

John, THANK YOU for the story and the lesson....
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thank god you are ok, that is a terrifying fall. Thanks for the eye opener, ill be checking my stands every year now. Glad you are ok
Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reminder.
That is certainly scary to think about, but the story reminds us all that we DO need to think about it
Old 12-17-2010, 11:43 AM
CJ1
Spike

This is why I carry spare straps in my pack and check each on before climbing on to the next section. Also I take down my stands at the end of every season and inspect all bolts and connection.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry 4 spare straps and give a visual to each stick before I climb. Down here there is a problem with squirrels cutting straps and lift ropes. I remove my stick ladders and lock-ons after every season and use new straps each year. On my lock-ons I double strap the platform and on the ladders I double strap the ladder to the tree. Also have rigged a HD fall restraint rope on every lock-on and ladder that I have set. Keep my climbing harness attached to the rope as I go up, using a Prussic knot (sp?). Takes maybe another 3-5 minutes to make the climb, but I figure that it is a small price to pay for the extra safety.

From 24' .... you are darned lucky , period. And I am glad for you.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Spike

glad you are doing good and thanks for educating others. Hope your back hunting soon.

Last edited by WIbackwoodsU61; 12-17-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

On my ladder stands they come with a smaller size chain that is OK for putting the stand up, but I add a larger chain with lock to help deter theft.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Dang, 24' is a long way to fall. I'm glad you're ok.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Spike

Sorry about your accident. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.