Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer Only Coming Out At Night?? >

Deer Only Coming Out At Night??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Only Coming Out At Night??

Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Spike

Default Deer Only Coming Out At Night??

Well I looked back some pages & searched before asking this but didn't seem to be able to find where this might have already been covered.

Anyway I've got several "hot spots" that get nice activity & have since gun season has came in(Nov 14-Jan 1 here in NC) but my problem is that it seems that all the traffic is during nighttime hours. The are some pretty nice deer here & I've tried putting out scents while I'm there & I have tried the mock scrape drippers to try to get them to come out during the day to only have nighttime pictures of them passing by the dripper at night without even appearing to pay it any attention. We've(me & a buddy) have hunted this property quite a few times this season & only once in late evening did he finally see & was able to shoot a button-buck, but other than that its been nothing. Now there are bedding areas on this property that we know exist but we were trying to save that as a late season last-ditch effort.

Now I know & understand that "thats part of hunting" but dang I'm up for trying different things to try & make this place work since I know that there are deer there but not during legal hunting hours. Is there any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

It always slows up in this area this time of year, it should pick up after the full moon...The last 2 weeks of the season should get better...Do you have any green fields close by??? They will get hammered...You can also try some man drives through those bedding areas to get them moving by standers...

I would also get in to muzzleloading...You missed the best 2 weeks of the pre rut this year by waiting until rifle season opened in the Central Zone...
Old 12-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you have room for a food plot that would be good...if not then I would try and find another spot to hunt if you are not seeing any.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

hard to say,
lots of factors involved,
has pattern changed recently? or always nighttime movers?
how large of property?
any daytime activity nearby that would affect their movement?
busy roads? parks nearby? etc....
Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Spike

Oh sorry I was kinda misleading there, we've been at it since opening day of bow season(Sept 11) & we really weren't seeing much during the day but always figured it would get better by the time the rut came into play but it never has. We had another property that is smaller that we were seeing deer regularly & it is closer so naturaly we paid more attention to it but that property is only a few acres & the deer on the smaller property were always smaller deer than what we seeing at the 40 acre tract.

The 40 acres is off the main road which is in the country anyway, this year across the street they planted corn which they have always done soybeans from what I could remember.

We only put out corn for the most part this season & the deer always seemed to get it throughout if it was put near their trails. This offseason we're going to do food plots on the 40 acre tract in hopes of that turning that property around completely because its been a dud during the day & there are nice deer there just at night
Old 12-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Spike

I like your article, please share a lot.
Please share such a lot of articles, I like