Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found a Deer Dog

Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Found a Deer Dog

Found a Deer Dog-2010-12-15_07_11_43.jpgMy Dad and Older Brother were hunting this morin and Dad was sitting in a ground blind bow hunting on the edge of a food plot and heard something shuffling through the brush behind him. Said it sounded to small to be a deer but was moving closer and getting louder. Finally the dog runs out into the food plot sniffin around. My dad whistled at it and it took off runnin'. Came back a few minutes later sniffing all the way up to the blind. My dad Whispered, Come here Bub' the dog got real low and bolted about 10 yards. My Dad then through his chewed up Beef Jerkey out the window. The dog ran to it and ate it without even hardly chewing it. The dog was so hungry it was running around his blind in Circles. Dad gave him the whole bag of Jerkey and got the Dog into his hands. He than began to pet the Little Girl and Calm her down. He sent my brother a text and said my hunting is over. Bro asked why n he sent him a pic. Bro said just stay there. So my dad did and the dog sat outside the blind for probally a hour in the cold right by the tent not moving. My dad said if he leaves fine, if he doesn't we'll take him home. Dog sat there another hour, Dad packs everything up and the dog follows him to the truck. So he took him home gave him a bath. Now he has him in the back yard. He didn't have any contact info on the collar just the name "Misty". Does anyone know what kind of dog this is and if he's used for trailing deer or running or what? Don't know much about dogs. He was sniffing the ground so who knows? Heres a picture to follow.

Last edited by dpj1030; 12-15-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like it might have beagle or maybe basset hound in its lineage. Cute dog, good on your Dad for saving it.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

beagle, maybe somebodys young rabbit dog that got out of pocket. if it had no owner contact info and your dad makes an effort to find the owner with no luck. if he likes it then keep it......tony
Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Spike

Thats a blue tic beagle pup n yes it will trail and run whatever its trained too. Looks like a young dog id guess less than a year and a half old. Good looking pup. As slick and shiny as the coat looks its been taken pretty good care of.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

My Dad shot a deer last week and still had some of the carcuss. He dragged it around in the woods in the back of our house and then put the dog out there. He said the dog went on a complete different trail. Even after he put him right on the trail he made? He says' he thinks she's still very young yet
Old 12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Spike

Even if the dog isn't a deer tracking dog hes an awesome companion the rest of the year. Kudos to your dad. I don't know if I could have given up all of my jerkey.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

I would say if its still young its a bluetick coon dog pup.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

If it isn't trained, How can you train it to stay on a deer trail if you lose a deer that you shot?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

i just realized that your from pensacola too. i have a pup that looks just like that one. i had to go check the pen to make sure she was still there. i don't know of anyone else around here with bluetick beagles. i rabbit hunt mine, they are out of rabbit stock and most have no real intrest in deer, however, i have seen very few who couldn't be talked into running a deer..................tony
Old 12-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you at least try to find the owner. It did have a collar on....someone might be looking for it. My dogs get out and run off now and then, doesn't mean they are abandoned. Of course I have learned to put my name and # on their tag. Check with the local pound and spca, etc. Usually people looking for their lost dogs check there. Good luck finding its home....and if you don't, hopefully it will be a good dog for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.