Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
no one is sayin g dont spend time with kids,
but spend your weekends/summers/holidays instead of taking kids out of school,
bet 90% that support pulling their kids out off school , are probably the ones spending weekends drinking and talking about it with their buddies, instead of spending the weekend with their kids
I would imagine that your percentage is way off.

If kids want to take off for the gun deer season they have to have passing grades and need to take some stupid sheet around to their teachers prior to getting the time off.

I work as an IT person in the local school district and I see kids taken out to go to Disney World with far less hassle, and with far worse grades than most of the kids I see take off for gun deer hunting.

I tend to see those that take the time to hunt often take the time to instill the proper work work ethic within their kids needed to survive in the real world. To hunt properly takes time and effort to succeed, and those parents who use the gun deer season as an incentive for their children are doing their kids a great service.

Assuming the kids are doing well in school, I can't see why it makes any difference letting them take time off to hunt vs taking time off to go on a family vacation.

It's when I see the troubled kids being taken out for the annual week long trips and falling further behind that I get upset. While I may not be a teacher, I am still part of a community of educators whose end goal is to educate the youth for tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Terasec...your kidding me right? enough said

Sfury...good point about parents taking their children out for vacation...I never thought about the comparison. How would this be any different? And we all know that happens on a regular basis.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they are doing what they are supposed to, why not? My Dad always took me for opener of Pheasant and for deer .... created awesome memories ..
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, BC the reason I let my son take off on the opening day was because he earned it. The reason for letting him miss school was because NY opened up on a Monday(80% of the bucks killed are killed on opening day) and there is something special about being with your son on opening day. Now they figured opening dayon a Saturday might just get more kids in the woods.So there is no reason to have to do this.

I know you lost your dad at a young age so maybe you don't know what it is like to have these moments with your dad,and how they stick with you. Maybe someone else stepped up as your father figure and you have these types of memories.

I know my son will remember until he dies the day we saw our first bear togethor, and the day he killed his first buck, I don't think he would remember what they were teaching that day.

Most of the stuff you listed can be done at night etc so it wuoldn't conflict with school.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

As long as they keep up their grades and realize it's a priveledge. Make a memory, let them enjoy their youth. Once your 18 your an adult for life!

Take your time and lat them enjoy their childhood!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

I have taught my kids that school is thier job. If they maintain all A's then they will be afforded certain privledges. They have always excelled in school therefore they get a break every now and then.
I operate a business and hope that one day they may want to run it when Im too old or lazy. I am trying to teach them that its ok to take a break when everything is in working order but not until then. I teach them to work tirelessly until all task are completed but once they are completed, go have some fun. There has to be a reward for excellent performance or the kids will eventually think, "whats the point"
Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cuda67
School comes first. No question about it. Both my kids have 4.0 and they still found time to harvest their deer without missing school.
This is the reply I had been waiting for, since I had kept an eye on this thread.

I can only hope that you don't really believe that your kids have a 4.0 because you decided not to let them have quite possibly the time of their life.

I grew up in central Minnesota, and we had 4 days to hunt. Saturday and Sunday of the first 2 weekends in november. I was pulled from school the friday before the first weekend since I was 11 years old, not because I wanted to harvest a deer, but because I got to spend an entire weekend with my father, and a few close relatives while having the time of our life.

Not for one second, in all of these posts that are saying keep your kid in school, do I believe your kid will be the person you had hoped they would - and I'd take a guess that 99% of your kids won't be the next CEO for a fortune 500 company. If you only think every decision you make might have a negative outcome, you are never going to experience anything more thrilling than being out of your comfort zone.

I may only be 25 years old, but after getting to spend quality time with my father for those 25 years, I can say I've got a much more clear outlook on life than many of those who disagree with my post.

I watched my father fix my mothers problems who has suffered from depression since he met her, solved the "what if" questions because she didn't want to experience a bad outcome, and brought our family closer together than it has for the 25 years I've been alive - because he took risks that he knew would benefit me; not just today because I got to skip school, but because he taught me how to be a man that can keep calm in any situation, and not be the person who "didnt let them go to the party, because he thought there might be drugs and sex". Grow up.

your kids are experiencing sex at 12 and 13 years old in 2010, whether you want to believe it or not.

Last edited by justbrae1; 01-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sfury
I would imagine that your percentage is way off.

If kids want to take off for the gun deer season they have to have passing grades and need to take some stupid sheet around to their teachers prior to getting the time off.

I work as an IT person in the local school district and I see kids taken out to go to Disney World with far less hassle, and with far worse grades than most of the kids I see take off for gun deer hunting.

I tend to see those that take the time to hunt often take the time to instill the proper work work ethic within their kids needed to survive in the real world. To hunt properly takes time and effort to succeed, and those parents who use the gun deer season as an incentive for their children are doing their kids a great service.
Assuming the kids are doing well in school, I can't see why it makes any difference letting them take time off to hunt vs taking time off to go on a family vacation.

It's when I see the troubled kids being taken out for the annual week long trips and falling further behind that I get upset. While I may not be a teacher, I am still part of a community of educators whose end goal is to educate the youth for tomorrow.
Excellent post, and what you said there is exactly what is going on.

I graduated high school with a 3.2. Not bad, not great, but I sure as hell did well in college, work IT for a software company and can make a living for myself. Now I look back at the students(those in the top 10%) I graduated high school with, many are sitting jobless or living at home with mom and dad because they thought that going out to get a job after school wasn't as important as those grades being kept up to a 4.0.

Well, I will tell you what, Moms and Dads of the thread. Get your kids out there with real world experience, and take a risk or two. I would really hate to see all of that education and time wasted on school work that they will never use be used to sit at home and try to apply for a job at McDonalds because they have absolutely no expectations in the work place. It might be hard to accept, but its the damn truth.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

This past October I took my daughter out of school for 2 weeks (she is in 10th grade). We went on road trip to Colorado for a DIY mule deer hunt. If parents can take their kids out of school to go see Mickey, she can go hunting. Incidently she is an honor student and she got all of her assignments and did them on the trip. Oh, she also took a 191" mulie and made all the boys jelous when she got home
Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Charlie P
Well, BC the reason I let my son take off on the opening day was because he earned it. The reason for letting him miss school was because NY opened up on a Monday(80% of the bucks killed are killed on opening day) and there is something special about being with your son on opening day. Now they figured opening dayon a Saturday might just get more kids in the woods.So there is no reason to have to do this.

I know you lost your dad at a young age so maybe you don't know what it is like to have these moments with your dad,and how they stick with you. Maybe someone else stepped up as your father figure and you have these types of memories.

I know my son will remember until he dies the day we saw our first bear togethor, and the day he killed his first buck, I don't think he would remember what they were teaching that day.

Most of the stuff you listed can be done at night etc so it wuoldn't conflict with school.
Sure it can, but I am going to reference my first post I made. You are missing the thrill and lasting memory of the example; missing school to experience something you wouldn't normally do.

If you only did what your parents thought was good for you, and not what you thought might teach you a little something(respect, reward), you're going to end up being the typical parent wondering why their kid is painting their face white with earrings in every orifice known to man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.