Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Terasec
Good concerns you have,
And don't think there's a right or wrong answer,
That's between you your kid and the mrs.
I find grades not a very good indicator for reward,
Some kids naturally and easily get A's, while others work their tail off and get B's.
Should one get rewarded over the other? I can't answer that.
I see where your coming from with the whole some kids can work real hard to get just avarage grades while others dont try and excel.

I dont think its about the grades, IMO its the effort they put towards their grades.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know.....I think different regions have different perspective. Here in Texas, we have two solid months of deer season and if you own your own land or have lease rights to something, well, you can be out there all weekend and on holidays.

Might be different for kids in other places who only have a short window.

It certainly would depend on performance for my kids. While I think of hunting as an essential skill and cultural 'rite of passage', it is also a privledge.

/shrug.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Normal teaching of a new concept..

Monday..introduce the concept..{ A/B student will pick it up first time}

Tuesday..practice ew concept..review other concepts

Wdnesday..Practice concept with real life situations..

Thursday or Friday..test for concept..and all previous concepts..

I teach a special education { 2nd-5th} VE class...this week's concepts..
Language Arts..sequencing..time order writing
Math ..perimeter and area
Science Rock Cycle
Social Studies..Christmas

If I had a student absent..he could make up the test...Smart teachers take care of ALL thier student and especially thier parents..especailly those kids that make my data look good. { -; I have a 100.00 bill this year for the student showing the best effort. I used to take them on a bass fishing trip but in our county we can't even email a student anymore.

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-18-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:18 AM
bigcountry

i understand you teach special ed. But if I am not mistaken, I don't think the original poster's child is in the same category.

Lets say your child has precalc, or HS level differiential equations. Or even hs level physics 1 or 2? These classes are cumulative.

And what circumstances is it ok? What about if one of you kids wants to do something other than hunting. I notice everyone is staying far away from this question.

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Normal teaching of a new concept..

Monday..introduce the concept..{ A/B student will pick it up first time}

Tuesday..practice ew concept..review other concepts

Wdnesday..Practice concept with real life situations..

Thursday or Friday..test for concept..and all previous concepts..

I teach a special education { 2nd-5th} VE class...this week's concepts..
Language Arts..sequencing..time order writing
Math ..perimeter and area
Science Rock Cycle
Social Studies..Christmas

If I had a student absent..he could make up the test...Smart teachers take care of ALL thier student and especially thier parents..especailly those kids that make my data look good. { -; I have a 100.00 bill this year for the student showing the best effort. I used to take them on a bass fishing trip but in our county we can't even email a student anymore.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Big Country,,

The last 7 years I taught 3rd grade regular ed...

here's is what I have seen those last 7 years on an average..for 16 students per classroom.

5 kids should have been labeled special ed..teachers biggest challenge...2 grade levels behind..70-85 IQs..real scary.
Lot's of tutoring and modifications to keep them from failing and pay each 50.00 to pass state test..these kids usally have all day since they all come with a thick cummlative folder.

2 that will need to be tested for gifted...real sharp ..great behaved kids..120--130 IQ
Straight As

3 Over achievers...normal intelligence but come from disciplined family..self-motivated
A or A/B average

6 average ..normal kids..C average

I have taught highschool as well..Same thing..same mix....A kid will not miss anything.
Along with the county curriculum which is elem. middle and high school..schools are generally given about 20 days to master each concept..your A/B kids only need to be shown once. In the highschool realm..most of thier grades are researched based anyways..

Honest..God as my witness ..I had a kid last year with SERIOUS problems...76 IQ..missed at least 25 days of school..drew swords and skeltons all day..and passed the state test with a very high score...secret..
Get your gets to read everyday..He would only read non-fiction but I gave him a coke for every book read and passed with 70% or higher

READING IS THE BEST WAY TO GET YOUR KIDS SMARTER!!

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-18-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:35 AM
bigcountry

Guess I don't want my kids just to pass a test. I like any caring father wants him to excel. My job as a father is make sure he is ready for this mean world. Its my obligation. In this day and time, that means at least a masters level college graduate. The days of not attending and excelling in college is over with my father's days.

Thats what it takes to make it in this world. I know so many people out of work these days. These people are struggling. I keep hearing from these folks, that they preach to thier kids, to excel in school. Not just be the B and C students.

Big Country,,

The last 7 years I taught 3rd grade regular ed...

here's is what I have seen those last 7 years on an average..for 16 students per classroom.

5 kids should have been labeled special ed..teachers biggest challenge...2 grade levels behind..70-85 IQs..real scary.
Lot's of tutoring and modifications to keep them from failing and pay each 50.00 to pass state test..these kids usally have all day since they all come with a thick cummlative folder.

2 that will need to be tested for gifted...real sharp ..great behaved kids..120--130 IQ
Straight As

3 Over achievers...normal intelligence but come from disciplined family..self-motivated
A or A/B average

6 average ..normal kids..C average

I have taught highschool as well..Same thing..same mix....A kid will not miss anything.
Along with the county curriculum which is elem. middle and high school..schools are generally given about 20 days to master each concept..your A/B kids only need to be shown once. In the highschool realm..most of thier grades are researched based anyways..

Honest..God as my witness ..I had a kid last year with SERIOUS problems...76 IQ..missed at least 25 days of school..drew swords and skeltons all day..and passed the state test with a very high score...secret..
Get your gets to read everyday..He would only read non-fiction but I gave him a coke for every book read and passed with 70% or higher

READING IS THE BEST WAY TO GET YOUR KIDS SMARTER!!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Big Country..do you wanna fight ?

Keep on posting replies like this and I'm going to ....
Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I'd either let him school for a couple days or find someplace close by where he could hunt and not miss school.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:13 AM
bigcountry

Big Country..do you wanna fight ?

Keep on posting replies like this and I'm going to ....
Wouldn't fight you. Your in too good shape. I would swing 5 times and pass out.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

"Wouldn't fight you. Your in too good shape. I would swing 5 times and pass out. "
Big Country..

Don't forget it either big boy..I 'm your Huckleberry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.