Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Spike

Thanks greatly to everyone for your input. After reading your posts, I have changed from leaning somewhat against the idea of letting him take a day off to leaning somewhat towards it - with the understanding that he keeps up with his schoolwork.

Now for the scary part, running this idea by my wife (YIKES!) . I will definitely have her read through this thread and see what impact it has on her. Thanks again everyone.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by macman99
"School" is not the only classroom.

Folks, i am curious. I notice many are extremely defensive over this for whatever reason.

With this though process, is in your home state, or where you hunt, is hunting only available thru school days???

I mean in Ky, WV, and MD, and TN, where i have hunted, hunting is available from Sept to Jan.

With this though process, can a kid "not" learn how to hunt unless he skips?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Spike

I am in complete agreement with Blackhawk and Beezer. Time spent with your loved ones, is forever. You can always make up the schoolwork. My dad checked me out of school one time my whole life and that has stuck with me. Don't take time for granted.

My .02!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SavageSniper78
I am in complete agreement with Blackhawk and Beezer. Time spent with your loved ones, is forever. You can always make up the schoolwork. My dad checked me out of school one time my whole life and that has stuck with me. Don't take time for granted.

My .02!
I agree with the 3 of you.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

I would let mine skip a day or two. There are some School Districts in the Southern part of Illinois(or at least there were)that allow an excused absence on the first day of first firearm season because so many kids were going to be gone anyway.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Folks, i am curious. I notice many are extremely defensive over this for whatever reason.

With this though process, is in your home state, or where you hunt, is hunting only available thru school days???

I mean in Ky, WV, and MD, and TN, where i have hunted, hunting is available from Sept to Jan.

With this though process, can a kid "not" learn how to hunt unless he skips?
i can understand others points of family first,
but my concern, with season being months long,
where are the parents/ family on weekends?
why take weekday off when can hunt on weekends?
if family was so important wouldnt they be planning every weekend possible to hunt/fish with their kids?
also during school year, many times there are mondays or fridays with no school i would chose those days

where i hunt NY and PA
PA 2 hrs away but no sunday hunting,
NY has sunday hunting but my land is 6 hrs away

so saturday hunting sunday fishing in PA for me
and weekend hunting in upstate NY,
unless kid has no school, wouldnt consider weekday hunting
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Partner,
Every school is under the gun.Seeing your son is making such awesome grades...he's way ahead anyways where he should be at. Schools today teach about 1 grade level ahead to keep up with the federal government's expections.

Your son is doing awesome.
Congrats,
Chuck Borden
Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
i can understand others points of family first,
but my concern, with season being months long,
where are the parents/ family on weekends?
why take weekday off when can hunt on weekends?
if family was so important wouldnt they be planning every weekend possible to hunt/fish with their kids?
also during school year, many times there are mondays or fridays with no school i would chose those days
I surely cant speak for everyone, but here is my thought process on this matter.
School for my children is merely a way to help them learn how to learn. This can be accomplished in a variety of different ways, usually the least important of which I believe to be in the classroom.
I take my children out on weekends and weekdays whatever happens to fit our schedule the best.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Education takes many forms. As a parent you have responsibility to educate your children. Most people defer that to the public school system or to a private school. Some keep the kids at home and teach them themselves. There is more to life than just books. There is character education and that takes life experience. I would want to make sure they didn't suffer academically but I would be willing to pull my kids out of school for a day or two for a special trip.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dpv
Education takes many forms. As a parent you have responsibility to educate your children. Most people defer that to the public school system or to a private school. Some keep the kids at home and teach them themselves. There is more to life than just books.
]

While this is extremely true, it appears that kids can't even keep up with the simple book stuff anymore. I guess too busy playing video games.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.