Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Not as big as a stretch as your (apparent) comparison that this father taking his kid hunting on a school day is somehow similar to your (over) obsession with hunting. Who in their right mind would agree that there's nothing more important than deer? Tell you what, though, teaching this kid LIFE SKILLS that he will NEVER learn in school is absolutely VITAL. I do not take for granted that we will be able to wander around the grocery stores like zombies forever. If we see those times, one's ability to pick up a gun and do what needs to be done will be of so much more importance than not having missed a couple of days of school.

I am not poo-pooing the importance of education. What I am saying is that the State is conditioning us to become completely dependent on the system, a system that is hopelessly corrupted and controlled by fewer and fewer people every day. And I REFUSE to have my children subjected to it like little slaves.
So are you saying without this skipped days, its impossible to teach a child these life skills? That makes no sense whatsoever. I mean I taught myself.

Can't a child bowhunt? I mean I do 95% or more of my hunting with a bow. Most of East US, gun hunting is nothing more than shooting pressured deer. Sit in a tree, something will run to you. Not sure what life lessons one would learn. In fact, every year I consider skipping the orange army week.

Facts are facts, concerning education, college and employability and how much more a college graduate makes.

I just know from my experience, I had and have friends who I graduated from HS with who lived, breathed and died hunting, and refused the disciplines of sometimes, hunting has to wait. Same folks, well over 20 years later, work like mules and only get one week vacation a year and tell me how lucky I am getting 5 weeks a year and able to hunt so much. Again, not saying its rule, but its rather interesting.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Still in highschool...I skip opening day of school every year and in middleschool I took the whole week off. It is an excused absence here
Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Are you going with him? If so then definitely yes... Later down the road, the time he spent hunting with his dad will be way more important than that one day of school that he missed.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say go for it. I can see the debate in your mind with grades, but get his assignments early. If I never did something fun once in awhile, I would have less drive to perform in school.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Just curious,
wheres the dad in this?
why cant he plan weekend hunt?
personally i would plan hunts around kids school schedule,
not take him out of school to accomodate my work schedule
Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Spike

Default Skipping School

If my son has been doing well in school, his grades are up and, he's been respectful at home, I would definitely reward him with a day or two off from school to go hunting. However, he would know up front that it is his responsibility to get his missing assignments and get them turned in ASAP.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
So are you saying without this skipped days, its impossible to teach a child these life skills? That makes no sense whatsoever. I mean I taught myself.

Can't a child bowhunt? I mean I do 95% or more of my hunting with a bow. Most of East US, gun hunting is nothing more than shooting pressured deer. Sit in a tree, something will run to you. Not sure what life lessons one would learn. In fact, every year I consider skipping the orange army week.

Facts are facts, concerning education, college and employability and how much more a college graduate makes.

I just know from my experience, I had and have friends who I graduated from HS with who lived, breathed and died hunting, and refused the disciplines of sometimes, hunting has to wait. Same folks, well over 20 years later, work like mules and only get one week vacation a year and tell me how lucky I am getting 5 weeks a year and able to hunt so much. Again, not saying its rule, but its rather interesting.
I am not saying you HAVE to skip school in order to learn these skills. You taught yourself, good for you. Me too, and still learning. I'd rather have been taught by my father. And I'm saying that it's the DAD's prerogative to take his kid out of school to hunt if he wants. I do NOT surrender the right, will and future of my children to the state. In Virginia, you cannot hunt on Sundays...could be like that in other states. Maybe this guy doesn't have a place nearby to hunt. Maybe the dad wants to take his kid hunting somewhere where travel time is significant and it would eat up a lot of the hunting day. Who knows? Again, my point is that it's up to the dad.

Are you REALLY going to bring up the bow vs. gun thing here? Really? "Most of East US, gun hunting is nothing more than shooting pressured deer. Sit in a tree, something will run to you." Talk about overly broad statements. Not even getting into it. And what does that have to do with taking time off of school? NOTHING.

Again, for someone calling my view a “freakin’ stretch,” you’re bringing this to extremes all over the place. You are making correlations that SIMPLY DO NOT EXIST. What you are basically inferring is that a dad who takes his kid out of school to go hunting, skiing, family vacation…WHATEVER…is teaching his kid to be undisciplined, implying that his son won’t go to college, won’t be able to differentiate between what is more important than hunting, and what is not, etc. If you weren’t implying that, then bringing up the earnings and employability of college grads vs non-grads is IRRELEVANT, along with the stories of your friends. You have stated that for both you and your friends, you were obsessed with hunting well beyond the point of reason. You cannot correlate that with a kid missing a couple of days of school to go hunting!!!!

No one is saying that hunting never has to wait, or that hunting is the most important thing ever. You are imagining that people are saying that.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

Hmm a day hunting or a day in school,Take him hunting school will be around forever but you could be gone tomorrow and so could your son,none of us know how long we will be here.The fact of the matter is school gets way to much of kids time anyway.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely!

As long as they have decent/good grades, etc...acceptable in your mind's eye.

Also I almost think it teaches responsibility, like hey you're gonna miss thurs and fri of school, get your assignments etc..., seems like nowadays the parents do everything for their kids, then they get to college and never goto class and flunk out with a 0.5gpa....these kids who's parents never let them live I swear go off to college and are the craziest of the bunch!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Spike

It's different for each child. I think you're looking at it the right way and I think from the description he's not the kind of kid that would be happy to blow off school for no good reason. Being concerned about missing the time is fine, but as others have said if you ingrain into him his responsibilities to make up the work and hold him to it. He'll have a great trip of memories and learn a little about balancing work and fun in the process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.