Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Want to get into deer hunting

Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a technique that works almost everywhere: set up in the woods downwind of a trail that you know deer use. An ideal one typically runs between a food source and a bedding area; if you can find a place along the trail where the deer get funneled and channeled due to terrain and geography, this is excellent, as it means the deer have to go that way. Ambush a deer as it passes through. Fences, ravines, creeks, creek crossings, cliffs, etc. can all serve to funnel deer. Another is when a narrow strip of woods connects two larger tracts. Deer tend to travel in cover and this sort of thing pinches them.

In the evening, set up closer to or perhaps even overlooking the food source as that's where they'll be heading. In the morning, set up closer to the bedding area, though not so close as to be in it.

Here's some pre-season preparation tasks:

1. Find those trails, food sources, and bedding areas! Once you locate the beds, stay out of them as you can cause deer (esp. bucks) to relocate if they're disturbed repeatedly.

2. Look for deer sign while you're at it--rubs, old scrapes, droppings, etc. This will confirm deer use the area.

3. Set up some stands/spots. You might think about tree stands, commercially made blinds, etc. You can also keep it simple: build a brush pile for concealment. I like to find a downed tree and sit in the branches or behind the trunk. Stick an old chair in there and cut enough brush to give you concealment and to also clear shooting lanes. While you're at it, make sure you have a way to rest and steady the rifle while you aim. Hammer a couple of 2X4s if you need to build a rest.

Equipment suggestions:

Rifle: Stevens 200, Marlin XL7, Weatherby Vanguard, Remington 700 ADL are all well-regarded entry level rifles. I see good reviews on the Savage Edge, too, but it is still relatively untested. There are zillions of calibers that will do, but the most popular are the 30-06, .308, .270, .243. 7mm-08 is well- regarded as is the 25-06. A 30-30 is fine if you are taking 100-150 yard shots.

Miscellaneous: You'll need some knowledge of how to field dress a deer, and you absolutely have to have a hunting knife. Here's what I carry in my fanny pack: A length of rope to drag the deer out, a pen to fill out the tag, some extra shells (a box is plenty), and some string (you'll use it to tie of the intestine while you're field dressing and also to attach the tag.) A flashlight is a must, but a headlamp is even better to keep your hands free if you have to dress a deer in the dark. I also carry a small emergency poncho.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Spike

thanks Father. I have an area in mind of where i believe there is heavy traffic through due to a lot of tracks(big ones....fingers crossed haha) and mashed down brush. All of my shots will most likely be within 100 yards at furthest because this is a small area. I'm probably going to borrow a .243 from that buddy of mine for my first deer.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Spike

threw out some corn today and found a the spot that i want to set up a stand. it overlooks a clearing where i've seen tracks leading in and out of. problem is, the tree has lots of limbs protruding from them. would it be okay to cut away some to be able to set up the blind against the main trunk of the tree or would it make it look unnatural? i guess i could also make an elevated box blind but that would cost more.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

You are one huge step ahead of most of us..you can hunt on private property...with that in mind..your deer hunting should cost you very little..SOme of us spend a ton in gas money or leases..

I use to hunt private property..what a blessing.

AYour stand..you need to spend NO money..build your own ,,,a platform in a tree..I built one and killed a buck out of it 2 days later ...

B. Your hunting fields..that 336 30-30 from Walmart is now the same price as thier 700 Remington 270...my friend .since you are hunitng fields..do yourself a huge favor get the 350.00 270 REmington 700 from Walmart..you also need to purchase a scope..the one that comes with it is crappy. I have both rifles..the 30-30 is good to about 130 yds..the 270 will go up to 300 yds..easily A GREAT FIELD GUN

C.Camoflaugh is not necressary..

D.Warm clothing is necessary and a pocket knife..it doesn't need to be a name brand but a good knife is a sharp knife.

E. Invest in a Primo 'Can ' call..8.00 ..give that call one turn on the can every 40 minutes..

F. BRing a book..I bring my New Testament..you will be bored up in the tree and the longer you stay..the more odds you will get a shot.

CLeaning a deer is like cleaning a giant squirrel...split him from butt through the ribs..hang head down..hang as long as weather permits..Skin..and cut off meat.

There are very good processing deer videos on youtube..

Summary..hunting private property is awsesome...when scouting..deer like thick low stufff that they can bed down during the day..Look for 12 " wide trails ..with freah tracks ' deer droplings and rub marks on the trees..Set up about 70 yds away from the trail..thier greatest defense is thier noses...you have no idea..In your stand play the wind to your favor..

God bless,
C7

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-19-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Spike

thanks for the advice C7
Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Spike

got a little blind made today and set up....going tomorrow morning and see what happens with the good ole .270!!