Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Want to get into deer hunting

Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Spike

southLA,

We're Louisiana duck hunters too, but we also deer hunt in Avoyelles Parish, in fields probably very much like yours. We use rice bran to attract deer. They like it more than corn (at least, in La. they do) and it is actually nutritious, which corn is not. As noted above, caliber and type of rifle is a personal choice, but I picked up a Remington 700 in .270 with a scope as a package for under $500 a few years back. Great gun, good scope, nothing fancy, but extremely accurate and .270 is a great deer caliber.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
Marlin 336 in 30-30 is a good starter gun.
Good gun period.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Spike

LaDeerGuy....i'm in Vermilion just fyi....so i'm assuming it's legal to throw out food?? how much is sufficient and how expensive does it get??

Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by southLA
LaDeerGuy....i'm in Vermilion just fyi....so i'm assuming it's legal to throw out food?? how much is sufficient and how expensive does it get??

Thanks
Yes, its legal to feed in Louisiana on private land (and as far as I know, Vermilion ) EXCEPT for raw sweet potatoes (which I think has to do more with sweet potatoes than deer). Maybe apples too, not sure. Put out about 5 gals. of rice bran or corn at a time (in each pile, if you do more than one, but don['t put them too close together). Try to stay away from the places you are hunting/feeding as much as possible. The more you go there, the more the deer will become nocturnal. If you start feeding rice bran or corn, watch the piles. You should start seeing the piles get small very quickly and you'll see lots of tracks if it is muddy enough (if you can get a cheap deer cam and put it up pointing at the feed--point it north if possible, you will probably be amazed at what is happening at night out there). When the piles are gone (usually, 3-4 days if they are hitting them regularly), replace with about 5 gals. for each pile. Rice bran isn't expensive (being on a rice farm, especially). I'm sure you can get it at G&H in Kaplan or Gueydan or any feed store.

Good luck. Let us know how you do and post pics of your setup and your deer!

P.S. Coons and possums (and pretty much everything) eats corn. Coons like rice bran, but have a hard time eating it. Possums love it. So do birds. Don't be surprised if they are always in it.

Last edited by LaDeerGuy; 12-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trail camera

Originally Posted by JakeGrice
If it is legal you can always throw some corn out...and maybe a trail cam

I agree with Jake. Put out a trail camera(s), and you will be amazed. You will see a lot more deer, find good areas to sit, and it is like hunting and Christmas 365 days a year.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Spike

thanks for the tips guys. The only question i have about it is that i've heard by putting trail cams and checking them, that you leave too much of a scent and the deer get frightened. If i see action in the area would you guys recommend leaving it be a while and then hunting it or what??

Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

food,water, water, food, food, water. The best way you can attract deer is with more and abundant food sources and water sources.period. food plots or planted corn/bean fields are where its at. If possible, do this instead of corn piles as it is a year round source for them and then you dont have to keep going out and dumping piles.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by southLA
thanks for the tips guys. The only question i have about it is that i've heard by putting trail cams and checking them, that you leave too much of a scent and the deer get frightened. If i see action in the area would you guys recommend leaving it be a while and then hunting it or what??

Thanks
If you put up a camera, let it sit for about a week, then next time you go to the area (to put out food or hunt, whatever), take the card out of the camera and replace it or just pick up the camera. If you have good activity showing in the pics, you probably don't need to check it again, maybe not even for the rest of this season unless you are just curious. Otherwise, just keep checking when you go out there, but don't make special trips to put up or take down cameras if you can help it.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
Marlin 336 in 30-30 is a good starter gun.
Not only is it a good starter gun but it's really all you need in most cases.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Spike

whoa guys. went goose hunting with a buddy of mine today. after we went check out the spot im interested in deer hunting, and lets say its going to happen soon. saw TONS of tracks(does and bucks) and trails they had made. going get some corn and a stand this weekend!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.