Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sleeping in your stand!

Old 07-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sleeping in your stand!

Try to find a good book that you can finish in a few days. Read the book on and off while you' re in your stand. Knowing you can finish it in the stand time will provide " drive" .

Read a couple pages or read a chapter at a time, it really keeps ya going.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use ground blinds, so falling isn' t as big of a problem when sleeping, I used to do it on purpose, I' d go out at 2am instead of 4-5am, and I' d set my phone for vibrate at an hour before shooting hour and tuck it into my collar, so it vibrated against my jaw, it was a good set up, until I started hunting areas with mt. lions, and waking up to coyotes nipping at my ankle cuffs. If I could seat belt myself in so I wouldn' t fall out, I' d sleep in my stand every time, you can go out earlier, so you don' t create a ' recent ruckus' in the field, and you don' t lose focus in your eyes because of lack of sleep. I usually sleep in my stands everytime I hunt in a natural materals enclosed blind, just make sure you have a silent alarm.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you just can' t keep your eyes open any longer, reach up deep and grab three or four nose hairs, the ones that are anchored to your goozle, and snatch them out with one quick motion. Guaranteed to open your eyes.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

i fall asleep in my stand and my ground blind (cat naps) usually right before dawn but after that i am pretty good. i have gotten my first buck just at first light after someone took a shot to wake me up. i usually stay awake when i got me lots of action even before the sun goes up. there has been times i have woken up to see a few does with in 10 yards of me.... guess i dont snore
Old 07-21-2003, 09:12 PM

There' s no way I can fall asleep when sitting in my tree. Fall is too darn short the way it is...I just love being out there! Rifle season I still hunt and stand hunt and it' s usually to cold to sleep then anyway!! :-)
Old 07-21-2003, 09:20 PM

I love to take a nap in the outdoors. There is nothing more peaceful. Usually my naps occur before daylight and just as I get in my stand for an evening hunt. I usually stay awake for the " peak" hours. I love the outdoors. I love closing my eyes to total silence in the morning and opening my eyes to the rusteling of squirrels moving around and birds chirping. It is a great feeling to take in and enjoy the outdoors.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:41 AM

I heard a guy snoring pretty hard on public land on time...I thought it was the funniest thing. I hope he doesn' t do that during turkey season! Half the woods would think he' s a 30lb gobbler....
Old 07-22-2003, 04:17 PM

i was closing my eyes during turkey season aftera few mins looked around there was a tom. dandy too. i can never sleep in my blind becuase i only sit mornings and then still hunt. my feeet are always freezing( i even have the rocky ones that are very warm, alot of thinsulate, but im always cold) so i cant sleep.

slayer
Old 07-22-2003, 06:33 PM

Well I can say that I too find my-self falling asleep during different times of the day. Most always I' m out as soon as I get up and situated. Then for about an hour before the sun rises.

Then the COLD nails you Berrrrr! after shivering and trying to hide me frost breath and getting freaked out about seeing some doe or hearing some deer just out of site, it start to relax and Boy the sleep dust just falls all over me.

Lost a great deer last season, who know how many other deer we miss when catching a quick nap. But, for me thats the whole enjoyment of it. I still take my share of deer but I also get some gooood shut eye during these times.[&o]
Old 07-23-2003, 05:36 PM

I' ll read while on stand as well. I will usually carry along a Reader' s Digest because it' s small enough to hold in one hand, and the short stories let me " take a break" for 10 or 15 minutes. Keeps me refreshed. I also won' t hesitate to cat nap on and off every few hours or so.

Quick Reply: Sleeping in your stand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.