Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Stand hunting vs Still hunting? >

Stand hunting vs Still hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand hunting vs Still hunting?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
"still hunting is slowly walking the woods..stopping and pausing more that walking. You have to move at a snails pace.
Stand hunting is obvious what that is. Climbiing up in a tree/blind and being "still"...not moving and leting the deer come to you.

(im going to feel stupid if you were just being sarcastic...lol) "

no sir..i hate sarcasm...I was being serious..I ws learned that stop ..take 5 steps...stop and listen was called stalking

I thought still hunting meant ..sitting and waiting ..no matter if your in a ground blind..back against a tree..ladder stand or climber..

Learn something new everyday..{ -;
thanks for clarifying that for me.
just didnt want to insult your intelligence..lol
When i hear stalking, to me it means you already have a animal spotted and you are trying to sneak up on him and shoot.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Conditions definately determine my choice on this one. one of my hunting preferences is being up in the stand for both the view as well assisting with scent control. Had a small buck follow my tracks directly to the stand this year and he actually stopped under the tree and a large brick could have done the job. I do have another one of my favorite spots that is on the top of a ridge looking down the length of a 500 yard tree line where a chair on the ground is very comfortable and hunting that ridge over the years has been very successful. Our ML season is the 3 weeks directly before the rifle season and my partner and I are the only ones that hunt this area during this time so a slow quiet walk through the woods has also produced some good results. Being able to try all these methods definitely keeps hunting interesting and I learn something different with each method. I don't think I would enjoy hunting as much if I didn't do a little experimenting.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

The problem that I have will still hunting is that I think I move to fast and making too much noise. The deer always see me before I see them. I enjoy the view I have from sitting up 30-feet up in the tree. But those ghost deer always sneak up on me and I say to myself, "Where the hell did you come from??!!!!" LOL!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

The only time I personally still hunt is when we have fresh snow, other than that I hunt from a tree stand early in the season, and a ground blind once it''s cold. With the blind and some chemical hand warmers I can stay out from before sunup to after sundown and be comfortable.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MD DEERHUNTER
The problem that I have will still hunting is that I think I move to fast and making too much noise. The deer always see me before I see them. I enjoy the view I have from sitting up 30-feet up in the tree. But those ghost deer always sneak up on me and I say to myself, "Where the hell did you come from??!!!!" LOL!
30ft......guess i dont see the point of going so high?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 125py
30ft......guess i dont see the point of going so high?
10 yards aint really that high.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Still hunter - I perfer to be on the ground....................

I can only sit for short periods of time and then I need to move !
Old 12-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt land that calls for both. Early morning I sit in a stand. When late morning comes I head off to trail that is well traveled. I have had great success with both. Still hunting is fun. Move as slow and quiet as you can. Nobody wants to see a doe train heading out of the station.......
Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's a good question

I don't think one way should apply to all.

Tree stands became more popular as archery became popular. In some areas of the country, particularly the south, tree stands are a necessity, even in gun season. Leaves are on the trees for most of the hunting; with leaves, deer can detect the hunter before the hunter sees a deer.
In northern climates, now that "global warming" has passed, I didn't think of using a tree stand. Leaves are off the tree; weather is too frigid to stay in a tree and the wind. Still hunting and moving open up more area for the hunt. Even if you carry in the tree stand, the weight will decrease your hunting area.
If I had a choice I'd use still hunting, moving when I wanted, without the need to cart a tree stand along. If the leaves are gone off the tree, you can see deer farther away and your scent in colder weather won't pass as easily to the deer.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

I walk around if I think the area is pretty much deserted. I usually don't get out until the third or fourth day so the woods is usually empty. I hunt sitting in the early morning, then when the sun comes up and the deer get up I start walking around. It is a lot easier to spot deer if they are moving also. I take a nap 12:00-1:30 and then start moving when the deer start moving again. The times I mentioned are for our rifle season and will be different according to the season you hunt. When the woods thins out with hunters, the deer go back to routine pretty quick. I hunt W.V., PA., and used to hunt in Maryland
and the times that deer get up and move seems about the same in every state. The only exception is I shot or saw a lot of buck up and moving around 11:00 and not doe. If you figure out when the deer get up and move in your area, it makes still hunting easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.