HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   December Bucks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/336201-december-bucks.html)

llpaintball 12-13-2010 07:59 AM

December Bucks

What are some of yall's strategies for finding these late season bucks? I havent seen anything but a spike in about two weeks.

gunther89 12-13-2010 08:28 AM

If you find the food, you will find the bucks.

marshyhope 12-13-2010 08:29 AM

From what I was taught, when bucks are finished the mating phase of the rut, they will be looking to eat. They have been too busy chasing does that they loose alot of weight from not eating and having their mind on "other things". If it's legal where you are, I'd put out some corn piles and hunt til dark. If they have been pressured all season, they aren't going to come out in the open until after dark. I would set up deep in the woods over a corn pile or put a corn pile on the edge of a field that has a used trail coming out and set up over that trail about 50 - 100 yards in the woods. Catch him on his way out. This is what I have learned about my area I hunt. Deer around here are pressured really hard during our firearms season and this works for me during our late ML season. But then I don't just hunt bucks. I hunt 'em all.

125py 12-13-2010 10:47 AM

scout a food source from far away..see where they are coming out...set up there.

llpaintball 12-13-2010 11:02 AM

Thanks guys.. the only problem with the corn is we cant bait here in virginia. As for finding the food, I think its been tough this year because of the huge acorn crop. Will the oaks be droppin acorns all winter?

7.62NATO 12-13-2010 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by llpaintball (Post 3740231)
Thanks guys.. the only problem with the corn is we cant bait here in virginia. As for finding the food, I think its been tough this year because of the huge acorn crop. Will the oaks be droppin acorns all winter?

I have not been seeing deer the last couple times out but I have been seeing lots of sign. The falling leaves have caused a lot of the acorns to be buried. Look for droppings and areas where the ground is getting "hoofed up" by the deer digging for acorns.

Did you get snow today? If you can get out there now, see where the tracks lead. Me, well I'm stuck in the office. Bleeegh...

llpaintball 12-13-2010 12:10 PM

Nope Nato no snow here.. I cant believe its snowing in the richmond area but not up here in the mountains :confused:. Hopefully we will get some soon

7.62NATO 12-13-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by llpaintball (Post 3740273)
Nope Nato no snow here.. I cant believe its snowing in the richmond area but not up here in the mountains :confused:. Hopefully we will get some soon

Dang! Well, that's a first! We don't get snow often.

I'm sure you'll find the hoofed up areas if you look...that will tell you where the deer are feeding now. Take it from a guy who has not bagged a deer in a month! :D

BGHunter55 12-13-2010 01:55 PM

Snow, Still hunting those untouched areas where the deer usually go to hide, and deer drives usually does the trick. Sitting is hard to do here due to the cold and the stupidly excessive amound of acorns everywhere so the deer can be...anywhere.