Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cover Scents

Old 12-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Cover Scents

How many hunters drag a scent rag when you are going to your stand. Do you put out deer scent around your stand each time you go out? Do you spray down each time before you go out.What other ways do you hunt to see more deer?
Thanks.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Spike

I spray down before heading to my spot just to cover me on my way to the stand or blind, but the wind direction determines where I hunt. I don't use any attractants.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

I wash my clothes in either dead down wind or Baking soda. Keep my clothes in bags, and i dress when im at the place where im gonna hunt to try and keep other odors out of play. I spray down sometimes but not always, but i too focus more on wind direction. I dont want to smell like a human, but lets face a whitetail with all the carbon suits in the world on with 10 different cover scents can still pick you out from time to time. Id focus on the wind as your primary scent control along with the ways you enter the woods. I wear rubber boots and i still watch deer smell my footprints! Nothing is full proof, and if someone says it is there is either something new out no one has heard of, or there lying to you.

I dont use scent drags in stuff like that because where i hunt we have such a high volume of deer and they never seem to pay any attention to it.. i have done everything in the books and most of the time they will walk by with out paying attention. Granted other areas are different where the herd might be more dispersed.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Spike

It all depends on the hunting conditions. The property I hunt in Georgia is devoloped around so I beleave the deer are used to smells they arnt sure of. This doesnt make them easy to hunt by any meens but I quit using ANY scent protection or attractent sent. When I went to New York however it was so over hunted that everyone in camp sprayed down EVERYTHING before going out. My only argument to this is here in Georgia I have been sitting on the ground multiple times this year and got 5-10 feet away from deer. None of which smelled me(no scents added to my clothing)and im sure at that range they should of smelled me if how most of scent protection addvertisements were on the money. Cant hurt though...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Wind Direction

How do you walk in. Most of the time I have a westerly wind and that is the only way I can get to my spot.

Originally Posted by crenshaw
I wash my clothes in either dead down wind or Baking soda. Keep my clothes in bags, and i dress when im at the place where im gonna hunt to try and keep other odors out of play. I spray down sometimes but not always, but i too focus more on wind direction. I dont want to smell like a human, but lets face a whitetail with all the carbon suits in the world on with 10 different cover scents can still pick you out from time to time. Id focus on the wind as your primary scent control along with the ways you enter the woods. I wear rubber boots and i still watch deer smell my footprints! Nothing is full proof, and if someone says it is there is either something new out no one has heard of, or there lying to you.

I dont use scent drags in stuff like that because where i hunt we have such a high volume of deer and they never seem to pay any attention to it.. i have done everything in the books and most of the time they will walk by with out paying attention. Granted other areas are different where the herd might be more dispersed.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
How do you walk in. Most of the time I have a westerly wind and that is the only way I can get to my spot.
This is where your cover scents come into play. Keep all your hunting clothes including your boots and hat in a plastic bin or bag with some pine chats and small limbs or leaves from the area you are hunting. Spray down the clothes you are already wearing (I wear regular street clothes underneath) and then put on your hunting clothes ( ex. coveralls). And don't wear your boots anywhere else but from your truck to your stand. I always laugh when I see guys at the gas station or grocery store wearing their camo and boots.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

I've tried it all and it never made a difference. I've quit smoking and I used to see more deer when I smoked LOL. It's all designed to make you think you need it and buy it. Just watch the wind and you'll get deer.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

"I've tried it all and it never made a difference. I've quit smoking and I used to see more deer when I smoked LOL. It's all designed to make you think you need it and buy it. Just watch the wind and you'll get deer. "

Xs 2
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Spike

I smoke while hunting. Deer are can be just as curious as they are cautious. Well......the younger ones anyway. I buy a bottle of scent killer and it'll last me a couple of seasons. I only use it on the clothes I am wearing underneath. All these different scents and covers scents remind me of all the pretty fishing lures. They are designed to catch the fisherman, not necessarliy the fish.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

i spray down with non-scented scent away or scent killer, and put estrous scent around my stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.