Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Suggestions for a slug gun...... >

Suggestions for a slug gun......

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Suggestions for a slug gun......

Old 12-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Spike

right now if i had the money, the savage 220f would be mine. its a 200 yard gun and ive seen reports of 1 in groups at 100 yards with a 3 shot group. some down to 3/4in. i have an 870 right now with a hastings barrel and it decent but man that 220f would be nice. im more of a sit and wait, don't really mind a 150+ yard shot on a deer. but if you are doing some driving a pump or autoloader might be the answer. some 2x7 scope on an 1100 with a fully rifled barrel and sabots will get you that 125 yards plus 25-30 yard shots at a deer on a drive
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Spike

Savage 220f in 20g. Theres only about a 200fps difrence in a 20g slug and a 20g slug. The 12g slug drops allot more at range. So id give up the extra 200ft for the increased range
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Spike

Almost any shotgun with a rifled barrel will produce good groups at 125yds. provided its shooting the ammo it likes best. I have had success with many shotguns with rifled barrels and rifled choke tubes also. I have had no problem with tight groups at 125-150 yds. I have shot Remington pumps and semi auto's, an ithaca 37, mossberg 500's, a browning bps with ( gunsmith installed ) rifled choke. And all shoot respectively similar groups at similar ranges. I would not hesitate for 1 second to squeeze the trigger on a deer standing broadside at 125 yds. if I had anyone of these set-ups. My all time favorite slug gun is my Marlin 512, its very heavy to carry all day long, but its perfect for sitting in a stand or blind all day. Most of my rifled barrels and rifled chokes prefer the Winchester partition golds and lightfeilds, but my best groups come from the partion golds.

This brings up a question for all of you. How do you guys like spending 3-4 dollars per round for good quality sabots? I know I dont. I remember when partition golds where a bit under $8 per box. And I didn't enjoy paying that much for them then. I just don't see me paying 20 dollars a box for the sabots I want. I like to shoot my guns so I can remain accurate with them and with prices ranging 14-20 dollars for a box of 5, the only way I could practice the way I like to, is if I went broke or if I was rich. And since I am not rich nor do I want to go broke, I opt for the plain old rifled slugs out of a smooth bore and hope for shots inside 70 yards. I know it sucks because I have consistantly made good groupings out past 125 yards with good sabots, but with prices through the roof I have to shoot within my limits. Even if that means I can only shoot up to 70 yards. I have also been considering getting into muzzleloader alot more. If I cast my own, its a heck of alot cheaper and I will hit tennis ball sized groups at 90 - 100 yards all day long, everyday I go to the range. I wish you the best of luck in any shotgun you choose, with plenty of practice and the right sabots, you will be shooting excellent groups at 125 yards or more.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OldBuckstalker1187
This brings up a question for all of you. How do you guys like spending 3-4 dollars per round for good quality sabots? I know I dont. I remember when partition golds where a bit under $8 per box. And I didn't enjoy paying that much for them then. I just don't see me paying 20 dollars a box for the sabots I want. I like to shoot my guns so I can remain accurate with them and with prices ranging 14-20 dollars for a box of 5, the only way I could practice the way I like to, is if I went broke or if I was rich. And since I am not rich nor do I want to go broke, I opt for the plain old rifled slugs out of a smooth bore and hope for shots inside 70 yards. I know it sucks because I have consistantly made good groupings out past 125 yards with good sabots, but with prices through the roof I have to shoot within my limits. Even if that means I can only shoot up to 70 yards. I have also been considering getting into muzzleloader alot more. If I cast my own, its a heck of alot cheaper and I will hit tennis ball sized groups at 90 - 100 yards all day long, everyday I go to the range. I wish you the best of luck in any shotgun you choose, with plenty of practice and the right sabots, you will be shooting excellent groups at 125 yards or more.
You can sometimes get lucky and find a rifled slug that that has the same POI at close range as the sabots you shoot. I will take some shots with these before the season to see if the scope is still set. Then I'll take a final shot with a sabot just to be sure. If off, it's at least a cheap way to at least get rough sighted and then fine tune with your sabots. I can't speak for anyone else, but I never see any lead build up from doing this and get decent groups.

As for the original question: I am very happy with my H&R 20, but if I had to buy one right now, I would consider getting the 220F, which is lighter.

Mike