Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
how do you get into a ladder stand (heights issues)? >

how do you get into a ladder stand (heights issues)?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you get into a ladder stand (heights issues)?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default how do you get into a ladder stand (heights issues)?

ok i feel silly but what can i say, im scared of heights. I have a climber stand and oddly enough when i use it i feel pretty safe, but i was hunting this week with some new people with ladder stands set up, and ive never seen anyone actually get into one (tried to find it on youtube but no luck). So my question is, once you climb to the top rung, whats your ballet move to get your butt on the seat? Let me preface by saying, im wearing 13 boots and im 6 3" and 250. I swear there just doesnt seem to be enough room when i get up to the top to spin my feet around and get facing out and my butt on the seat in what seems like a safe way to me....help
Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Dominant Buck

AMEN brother..I'm right there with ya..I was at a place 3 weeks ago..another hunter was going to put me in one..At 20-30 years old..I may risk turning around since I was much stronger..but at 56 when you are much weaker and since we both have a fear of man made stuff at heights that shake..I came right down that ladder stand..I told a white lie and said my knee were too sore to climb..but actually like you..I wasn't going to chance turning and trying to sit in that tiny little seat..

There 's seems to be a lot more room in my Summit Climber and I feel much safer in it.PLus the ladder stands mostly go 15 foot..my limit is 14 footLOL
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol i think thats where the rope/safety harness originated...
i hated the feelin i got at the top as well, until i got used to it..but basically at the top step is where i make my turn...2nd from top step is a normal, but the top step i have my foot turned, so all i have to do is plop down on the seat.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't do ladder stands or loc ons...I'm 6ft 5 and 235...I have 2-API Grand Slam Magnums, the harness is attached to the tree as I go up...

We have had 2 local hunters die from falls from ladder stands in the past 2 years...
Old 12-12-2010, 03:56 AM
M92
Spike

Just get ya a harness and force yourself to do it. Eventually you will get over it. Something like 9 of 10 Americans are actually afraid of heights. So don't feel bad.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by M92
Just get ya a harness and force yourself to do it. Eventually you will get over it. Something like 9 of 10 Americans are actually afraid of heights. So don't feel bad.
I'm not afraid of heights, I'm not even afraid of falling...it's the abrupt stop that scares me. I only use my climbers and haven't been in my ladder in three years. It all depends on the ladder stand itself, if you have one that's got a wrap-a-round shooting rail and a good foot platform it's no problem. All of the ladders on the land I hunt, except mine, are just an open seat and platform. I stopped hunting them for fear I was going to fall, even wearing my harness.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 AM
M92
Spike

Sorry to hear that. Ya got to be able to trust your gear. If you cant trust your gear then what is the point of having it? I don't guess it would be of any consolation that from what Ive read more people have fallen from climbers than ladder stands.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have a GoMuddy harness and it comes with an ascent/descent rope you leave on the tree at your stand. you just clip on and slide the prusic knot as you go up. in the event of a fall at any height you're connect to the fall restraint at all times. http://www.gomuddy.com/shopping/Departments/Safeguard-Harness.aspx

they don't show the A/D line in the video but it does come with it.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like it is the type/design of ladder stand that is giving you the problem. The ones I have have a large seat and platform. When you get to the top you just climb straight on in to the stand. I have a nylon cord I pull my rifle up with so there is no problem getting in the stand with it. They are a heavy built stand. I'm 6'2" and about 245 and have no problem.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good Post

It's just assumed by "everyone", liars included, that every American hunter is a born climber. And it has nothing to do with hunting.

I've climbed over the decades, starting with climbing ladders on box cars on a siding, when I was a ten or eleven years old. But there was some climbing, others could do, that I never attempted.

I could climb up on roofs, but I never would stand at the very end of a roof and look down at the ground. There was climbing I'd do and climbing I wouldn't do.

Some can use a climbing stand, but don't like or use what I call-diving platforms. Those are stands that are just the same. Like one step and you're diving towards the water. Instead, you're quickly diving towards the ground. It's like an open diving platform at a pool.

At my age, if I have to find a new tree stand, I'll buy it used. I know some will buy a good treestand, use it once, and never use it again. And of course there is the fitness question. How long will you stay in shape, at that weight, to carry in or out, a treestand. Or will you fall back, in the beginning, to one lone stand in the forest.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-12-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.