HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Need experienced opinions on best of 2 scopes please (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/336083-need-experienced-opinions-best-2-scopes-please.html)

71Bacon 12-11-2010 02:27 PM

Need experienced opinions on best of 2 scopes please

Hi Guys (and gals)

I am purchasing a riflescope for a christmas present for a friend who is an avid deer hunter but need some expert advice.

I am really going to appreciate your input on this, and he will probably remember this too, so thank you in advance.

My friend is a real enthusiast he has his own 600 acre rolling wooded plot, dozens of acres of prepared and planted greenfields, about a half dozen shooting houses, 1930's farmhouse/hunting cabin. Now that you have that picture in mind don't get it wrong. He inherited this land from his Grandfather, clears plows and plants the greenfields himself, clears it himself all with equipment he bought and owns, and he's never earned anything other than an hourly wage. He has introduced a lot of people to hunting myself included in a way that could be the definition of Southern hospitality. It's that kind of story and he is that kind of really good guy.

He's always wanted a better scope. I've been hanging on his ear for the last year or so. He mentioned at one time that he holds Swarovski scopes in high regard. Another time he was flipping through a catalog and commented to me that 4-18 was a good zoom range. I've hunted on his land and 90% of his shots range from 75 to 130 yards with the occasional hilltop to hilltop shot maybe 230-300 yards and he can hit them too, his rifles have all had some kind of tuning work by a gunsmith and he knows how much drop and windage he has at different spots on his property. He is also a twighlight hunter he is always out in the house long before daybreak and will stay up there until it is good and dark.

He knows and can appreciate quality items with no problem, but thinks ballistic turrets are too fancy. So I've narrowed it down to two choices. I will try to be brief here.

Choice #1 is a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44. If I assemble all the little comments over the past year this fits pretty much what he said.

Choice #2 is a Zeiss Victory Diavari 3-12x56. This is my choice knowing how he actually hunts.

Not being an experienced hunter, but being an avid camera lens enthusiast, I see the Davari as the better choice. Larger optics always transmit more light. The Davari will be brighter than the Swarovski under the same conditions due to the larger optics and pupil. I also don't think he needs 5x zoom compared to 4x zoom, although it makes for a more impressive specification. Eye relief is about the same.

Ok, what do you think? Buy him what he thinks he wants or what I think he needs? Do either one of these scopes have any fatal flaws or inherent advantages?

Really appreciate the input everyone.

Remnard 12-11-2010 02:47 PM

18 power seems pretty hot for a big game hunting rig. 3x12 would be my choice. its impossible to hold that higher powers off hand so i guess he's got a bipod or some other steady rest.

Nomercy448 12-11-2010 02:49 PM

Personally, I would get the man what he wants, regardless of what I thought was best.

Secondly, in my personal opinion and experience, a 44mm Swavorksi will be plenty bright for twilight hunting, AND a 56mm scope presents it's own problems in general. The bigger the objective lens, the higher the scope must be mounted, and the higher a scope is mounted, the more "off-bore" issue you have at long ranges.

Thirdly, and most importantly to ME as a shooter, an 18x vs 12x is a BIG difference. If I WANTED a 12x and you got me an 18x, that's one thing, I could probably get over the fact that it's not exactly what I wanted because it's a higher magnification scope. But if I WANT an 18x scope, I'm not going to be satisfied with a 12x scope. Personally, my effective range changes greatly dependent upon magnification. You can't shoot what you can't see.

Fourthly, I have had tracking problems with Zeiss scopes in the past. 10clicks up and 10 clicks down doesn't always end up in the same spot, and that's a problem for me. The two swaroski's I've had have always been spot on trackers.

So at the end of the day, I'd get the guy what he wanted, no matter what. It just so happens that his choice ALSO mates up with the higher magnification AND the better tracking AND the better riding scope...

Nomercy448 12-11-2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Remnard (Post 3738932)
18 power seems pretty hot for a big game hunting rig. 3x12 would be my choice. its impossible to hold that higher powers off hand so i guess he's got a bipod or some other steady rest.

I'm going to strongly disagree here. :bash: It might be harder FOR YOU to hold a high mag scope on target, but not everyone has the same pant size. I regularly shoot off hand with a 6-24x scope set on 24x. Additionally, it's not a fixed power scope. A 3.5-18x scope can be turned down to make off handed shots, or turned up to make a long range/high mag shot.

Like I said before, get the guy what he wants, even if you don't necessarily agree with him (although I DO agree with him).

71Bacon 12-11-2010 03:05 PM

I'm glad I posted this and I really appreciate the friendly answers. I don't think I will have any regrets getting him the Swarovski and neither will he.

Also regarding the hand held / steadyrest discussion most of these shots he will be taking out the window of his shooting houses. Other shots he's going to take from a sitting position up against a tree.

Thanks again

timbercruiser 12-11-2010 06:30 PM

I've had the Zeiss Diavari 3x12x56 for about 6 years and can't find anything wrong with it. You can definitely shoot deer you can't see with your naked eye. I don't think I would pay $1600 for another one, but it is a great scope. I havn't had any experience with the Swarovski.

DannyD 12-11-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 3738936)
Personally, I would get the man what he wants, regardless of what I thought was best.

Secondly, in my personal opinion and experience, a 44mm Swavorksi will be plenty bright for twilight hunting, AND a 56mm scope presents it's own problems in general. The bigger the objective lens, the higher the scope must be mounted, and the higher a scope is mounted, the more "off-bore" issue you have at long ranges.

Thirdly, and most importantly to ME as a shooter, an 18x vs 12x is a BIG difference. If I WANTED a 12x and you got me an 18x, that's one thing, I could probably get over the fact that it's not exactly what I wanted because it's a higher magnification scope. But if I WANT an 18x scope, I'm not going to be satisfied with a 12x scope. Personally, my effective range changes greatly dependent upon magnification. You can't shoot what you can't see.

Fourthly, I have had tracking problems with Zeiss scopes in the past. 10clicks up and 10 clicks down doesn't always end up in the same spot, and that's a problem for me. The two swaroski's I've had have always been spot on trackers.

So at the end of the day, I'd get the guy what he wanted, no matter what. It just so happens that his choice ALSO mates up with the higher magnification AND the better tracking AND the better riding scope...

+1 That swaro will be plenty in any legal light

Valentine 12-12-2010 07:31 AM

Really Thanks! The Question was Way over my head

I just checked the web site for a scope in some years. I felt like I was in a time warp.
Glad the old eyes can still use a lesser priced Leupold under $300. And I've taken good care of my Leupold scope.

Of course, I'm over 60 and can still read without glasses.

It must be that half blindness of some people, or something. I must have taken good care of myself or it's the genetics. I really enjoy tossing away those hearing aid brochures away too. I missed buying any of them.

Thanks for reminding me of my gifts I get every year.

Sheridan 12-12-2010 11:59 AM

How can anyone be disappointed with getting what "THEY" really wanted.

Especially if it say Swarovski on it !!!

Hardcorehunter16 12-12-2010 01:59 PM

Zeiss all the way. I own one and love it. Everyones right though, the scope must be his liking. I handpicked everything about mine for me to love it.