Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shot in the head nocks antlers off >

Shot in the head nocks antlers off

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot in the head nocks antlers off

Old 12-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot in the head nocks antlers off

Me and my brother-in-law were doing a push during the 2nd season here in Iowa and he came accross a dead buck. It was just laying their body stretched out and stiff and head rested on the ground not moving. So he yelled to tell me to come over to him and we were standing about 10 feet from it talking and everything looking for blood where the buck had been shot and where he came from and the dang thing got up and started to run away. When he was trying to run away he was stumbling and could barely keep his balance so my brother-in-law shot him to put him out of his missery and when he shot, the bucks left antler came off but the buck fell to the ground dead... We thought he shot him in the antler but that wouldn't have killed him.. So we walked up to him and he was deader than can be and his left side was popped off like a shed... Well maybe the trauma of being shot caused it to come off... I dont know? Well we were looking for previous wounds and the shot where we shot him but we couldn't find any holes (or blood) on him... So we're thinking, what the heck.. So we roll him over and his other antler pops off like a shed! And then we finally found where he hit him. Right in between the ears in the back of the head. The shot caused the antlers to come loose for some reason. We looked some more for blood trails from where he came from but their was nothing... Im not sure why he was laying on the ground dead looking and could hardly walk. I know he wasn't laying down because he was tired because a tired deer can still run.. This one was stumbling every where like he had been shot in the back leg. Do you think maybe he was sick or something?

He has some mass to him.

You can see that they look like sheds...

Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

got a pic of the deer
Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

agree wheres the pic of the deer
Old 12-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Spike

when i shot a spike last year in the head the top of the skull just popped of along with the antlers
Old 12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like the deer was sick.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont have any pictures of the body. Today was the only day he could hunt so he called in the deer with his number on his tag and we threw the body away in a deep ditch in their timber. Ill probably get bashed from you guys for throwing the meat away but we didn't think it would be any good if the buck was sick. Or even if the buck was shot during first season and still lived until now, the meat wouldn't be any good would it?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be carefull.. It could be suffering from chronic wasting disease.Good thing you didn't touch the meat. Call up the autorities tell them what you saw and how it was found and how it ran away.. everything you witnessed.Get them to pick up the animal and get it tested imediately.
Do not touch that blood on the animal antlers cause the disease is in the spine, brain everywhere. This is highly contageous to Animals such as deer elk,( they are in the air on humans not enough evidence humans can get it) but it kills.If you feel any signs and symptoms seek medical attention don't take a chance.Seriously don't there is not enough evidence yet that humans cannot get it either.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 12-11-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pope...You shouldn't get flamed for what you did.

There was obviously something wrong with the deer. No need to take chances.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like CWD to me. Good thing is there is no known transfer to humans. Poeple in WI have been enjoying them for yrs. Cut the head off put it in a bag and take it to local DNR for testing. Also spinal fluid my tranfer to other deer. Nice buck though.

Second the zrut may have worn this buck down to the piont of death.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

It does sound like CWD and if that's what it is, I wish you good luck. I've witnessed our deer herd go down the drain because the Wisconsin DNR thinks that they must kill every deer to get rid of CWD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.