Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do I draw in deer

Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Spike

Default how do I draw in deer

my father in law has 5 acres of land surrounded by several hundred acres. A house across the street has more land and its more open due to the 3-4 horses they have. The neighbor also have a deer stand up, not sure if he hunts out of it, but he has a nice spread. I know I cant compete with the land he has but my father in law has seen a few deer in his yard every now and then but usually at nite. He also gave me permission to put out corn or whatever to bait in some deer( where i live its legal). What can I do to attract deer from my neighbor property to mine. I have seen deer droppings so I know their there just a little skiddish. Its late season now and only bow season but there is a christmas rifle hunt that im looking to harvest a deer. How can I get them and keep them there for this hunt.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Fork Horn

Corn my Friend!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Spike

Corn will def do it. Try adding some mollasses to it. Also pick an area as far from the house as possible and do ur best to keep ur scent out of the area. Wear ur hunting boots when baiting and make sure they are as scent free as possible. If you have a shed or a garage leave them there when you take them off. As long as ur not storing gasoline any where near them. Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Spike

Dont forget to not scare the animals coming off his property onto yours by trying to get feed out. My best spots I only visit on the day that I think I stand the best chance. If I were you I would put your corn right in the middle of the property and just keep it loaded. Deer will find it, and once they do they will keep coming back. Like I said the trick will be not to take the chance in spooking game in trying to feed them. Other then that shooting a few deer is fine but in my oppionon the best attractent is other deer. If you have a good herd that gets comfortable on your land you will get more bucks and does with every year. Shoot the ones coming off other properties and leave your herd alone except for the one or two you need for the freezer. best of luck!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Spike

i can tell you this.... get a deer feeder fill it with corn and get a blind. let the feeding times right before sunrise and right after for me out in east texas its about 0630-0710
Old 12-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Focus on bringing in the does with keeping corn out...the does will bring in the bucks
Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Pears, pumpkins, apples, corn, load it up
Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Work on cover for the deer. It won't be an instant fix but, after season is over go out and drop a few trees in the middle of the property and leave the tops. Try to get the thickest cover around so the deer feel comfortable to bed there. Then as others said try to hunt the edges if your land to try to keep from booting the deer on it.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Spike

Ok i am gonna share a little secret with you.
Do this plot in the spring like first week of April
Oat Seed 20%
Clover 20%
New Zealand Brassics 30%
Spinach 10%
Chicory 10%
Ironclay cowpeas 10%
Mix 15LB of mixure with 5 lb (5-10-15) Garden fertilizer and spread over half Arce of land. Let stand until Sept 15th, Be sure to scratch in with garden/leave rack light covering only.
September 15th plant 15 LB of Winter Peas with 5LB (5-10-15) Garden fertilizer over .5 Arce of land, Be sure to scratch in with garden/leave rack light covering only..

You will have more deer than you know what to do with.

Last edited by SavageArms; 12-13-2010 at 11:56 AM.