Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ladder stand vs ground popup blind >

Ladder stand vs ground popup blind

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder stand vs ground popup blind

Old 12-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by romat
A few years back I attended a seminar given by Dr. Ken Nordberg, a noted whitetail biologist. He feels that Deer have learned to look up, as deer hunting from elevated stands has become the normal in the last half decade. He said that his hunting success has gone up since he started hunting from the ground again, from pop-up blinds and brushed-in blinds. I currently guide in North Texas, here we hunt from ground blinds a lot. I like the versatility of a GOOD pop-up ground blind, can hunt any wind, wooded area as well as wide open fields. There is a time and place for each type, elevated or ground. The ground blinds are a lot safer.
+1

I know this for a fact, as I've had it happen to me. I was bowhunting in the George Washington Nat'l Forest in Virginia two seasons ago. I was in my Summit Viper climber and was covered head to toe in Realtree camo, including a facemask. I grunted in a nice 6 pointer to 25 yards.

Now, I swear to you right here and now, as God as my witness... that 6 pointer stood there and then looked right up at me in the tree! I freaked out and closed my eyes, because I figured I was busted and it was all over with. (besides, I've heard that deer have that 6th sense, and know when something is looking at them, and they can see your eyes too). Thankfully the buck lowered his head and nibbled on an acorn and I quickly went to full draw and got him with an arrow.

Long story short... DON'T think that you can't be seen in a treestand. Deer can and will look up at you!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

I enjoy either but being in a ground blind or just on the ground is a ton more exciting when the deer are getting close. To me there is nothing like sitting at the base of a tree and having that deer come up from behind at eye level. I also hunt mainly public land and I am not going to take a chance on someone coming in while I'm away and walking off with my stand.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I mainly hunt out of stands and really like the ladder stands best. But I have a couple of pop-up blinds. Have not used them much but doi like them. About 3 weeks ago, my son and I set one up in the woods behind the house. I hunted it for the first time yesterday and I got a good 8 pt. and a doe, within 5 minutes of each other. Saw 6 deer total yesterday monring. Here's what I got:
Attached Thumbnails Ladder stand vs ground popup blind-rsz_8pt_003.jpg   Ladder stand vs ground popup blind-rsz_8pt_004.jpg   Ladder stand vs ground popup blind-rsz_8pt_005.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

I started hunting out of ground blinds to years ago never again will you see me in a tree freezing my a** off rain snow or wind,you can draw back your bow with the deer looking right at you,1 thing tho you are better off to get one of the bigger ones I own a big one and a dog house type one the problem with the dog house is my limbs was hitting the roof when i released my arrow,if you get a pop up dont waste 400 dollars on on a double bull,buy this one here for $100.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/KillZone-Turret-...item255f99fa63 easy set up and take down and durable.

Last edited by blackhawk_archery; 12-11-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I am ready to start making my own blinds instead of paying good money. I think I just have to do is get a tarp and some 2x2's 5' long, pund them in the ground 1' deep and take the rest of the tarp for a roof. I never tried it but am going to do it next year. I bought a cheap blind and it never worked well. Maybe the 100 dollar ones are better.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

With a ground blind it's easier to stay warm in our late muzzleloader season, plus it hurts less if you fall out vs a tree stand.