Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sooo..Why Do I need my 7mag?

Old 12-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

My poor old 243win seems to get left out many a deer season.

However it gets the most use punching paper the rest of the year

I just dont know why every time i pull out the 30-30 i question its adequacy. It proves its capabilities every time

It might be where the rest of the year im so busy working up loads for the 7mm and the 243 that im so stuck on speed that i look at the 2100 FPS of the 30-30 and think its just too slow
Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
30-30 or 7 mag, hmmm....havent lost a deer with my 7 mag yet. (Knocking on wood) My Friend uses his not so trusty 30-30 and lost three deer in three years. One time in a hurry I grabbed our 25-06 and shot a buck at 200 yards and watched it run another 200 before piling up. I rather have them drop on site so its 7 mag for me.
I guess anything can happen but from my experience, the 25-06 is usually very impressive on deer.

To the matter of your friend with the 30-30....Is he taking or making good shots? Is the rifle even zeroed? The 30-30 is certainly capable of killing deer.