Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pee Bottle or Not

Old 12-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Two days on the same stand and a deer will know you moved in
APPRECIATE THE COMMENT..MAKES SENSE TO ME
Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Check out my "urinal" which goes into the ground under the stand....

Don't know if makes a difference but I don't have to hang it out the window anymore LOL.
Attached Thumbnails Pee Bottle or Not-dsc00175a.jpg  
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I pee out of my stand, just don't pee on the steps!!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Spike

i have shot one buck, and a doe while my tallwacker was hanging out of my pants cuz i didn't have time to put it away before i shot. But the area i hunt the deer are used to smelling people, and we all drink beer and pee outside, so they get used to the smell all year long.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Spike

I used a bottle in public lands but now that I'm hunting on a friends farm, I just pee wherever I'm at. My friend pees outside spring, summer, and fall, so I think that they're used to it. They're also used to the smell of oil, plastic, metal, and anything else man made, so the smell of the blind and anything in it doesn't seem to bother them. Kind of nice.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

IMO, every little bit helps. Hunt the wind, use scent control, wash your clothes in scent free detergent, get dressed in the field and don't wear your clothes in the vehicle. I have had deer come right up under my stand and when they get down wind of me I can tell they know something is "off". But you also said public land which is what I hunt. You have no idea what other hunters have done. They could be peeing or worse right next to the tree you want to set up in.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default yup

I keep a few in the stands....
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
majority of my piss ends up on scrapes on my way in the woods and out of the woods.
Can be a good way to get the buck mad and have him show up in the daytime.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by country1
Can be a good way to get the buck mad and have him show up in the daytime.
Yeah, I read somewhere (don't have the direct source as I read ALOT) that the urine breaks down chemically within an hour, and it is almost impossible to tell what kind of an animal it came from. Except the traces of certain proteins that are present that dictate whether or not the urine came from a carnivore or strict herbivore. Even then, the presence of the urine enough is not enough in my opinion to "spook" a whitetail, however it will put them into a higher "alert" status when walking through the area.

I am a strong proponent that whitetail body language is advantageous to the hunter, and not enough hunters seem to know the difference between an alert deer, and a relaxed deer (though many claim to know). Do you even know? Its a question you have to ask yourself. Lucky for me, I have had the time all year round to study the behaviors of whitetails, though I am no professional I believe that my time in the woods with my photography and scouting, has allowed me on many times to take a deer I otherwise wouldn't have been able to had I not known the posture and body language.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I've never carried a pee bottle and never will. I can't imagine trying to dig through my back making noise. If a tried to piss in a bottle from my tree stand I'd probably piss all over the bottle my hand and clothes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.