Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What has changed?  Deer Population explosion >

What has changed? Deer Population explosion

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What has changed? Deer Population explosion

Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
It was an extreme rareity to see deer in that area when I was a kid. Now, they are everywhere.
Same story can be told all over the east coast. I hear that on the eastern Shore of MD, in the 70-80's deer were almost wiped out. Now its the place to go. In fact, you can kill over 32 deer in MD. I know urban spraw is to be blamed in the urban sections, but what about the shore?

Could be less hunters? Better management? Better habitat?
Same here in CT, deer were rare back then. Now there are every where and in good numbers.
Fewer hunter today, less availible land to hunt on, plenty of feed on the neighborhood lawns & shrubs.
We have an 80% kill ratio in our hunting group for the last 6 years running, and that's on public state forest land.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I've been hunting here in Southern Maryland for 6-years and you're right about the bag limit. I don't hunt bow season, but between Firearms and Muzzleloader seasons I can legally kill up to 24-deer. As far as Southern Maryland goes I've been told that in the early 50's there was no deer here in the Southern part of the state. I was told that in the mid to late 50's the deer were shipped down here from Pennsylvania to promote deer hunting. Ever since then the deer population has exploded.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

I believe the government has been injecting the deer with fertility treatments in order to boost the revenue from hunting license sales.

Either that, or it is a natural consequence of increased agricultural land use.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

i like the comment on backyard bow hunting...lol

i was told that before ky had a modern gun season which as like pre 1956 or something the deer population was under 10000, now we have quite the herd going on. Has a lot to do with conservation and also the one bucki a year thing helps a lot i think.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Deer herd in North West Florida/Lower Alabama have been low low low! That past 2-3 years
Old 12-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Spike

Here in Ne Pa, I have seen 1 deer in 10 days of hunting, Our game commision has ruined the hunting with a 2 week buck and doe season together. It does not even pay to take a youth hunting as you see nothing. We cannot kill all the females and have derr too.

Stan