Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do YOU hunt?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Spike

Default how do YOU hunt?

im new to hunting , and the only type of hunting i've really been exposed to was with still hunting, and waiting for the deer to come to me. i certanily dont "bait" the deer towards me, i call them in with estrus bleats and grunts. during gun season i hunt with a 12 gauge pump action using slugs as my ammunition (dont ask me what type) and a combound bow with a draw back weight of 55 i believe, which i think should be upgraded because im older and stronger since my last visit at the bow shop. i use the M.A.D. heat bleat, and buck grunt. for me they havent done ****, idk if its me or the calls to be honest. anyways comment on the persons hunting details ABOVE the post that you make(tell them what to do difrent, what youve tried etc.), then explain how you hunt and what you do to get whitetail.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I find a place in the wood's that say's deer come here. Then I put a few stands for diff wind sitiations. I then climb in the stand relax, let the worlds issues go away and enjoy the natures peace. I also tend to hunt ag fields that they frequen on some afternoon's only, never in morning unless it's in the middle of the woods.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Well to start i'm a bit confused as if you meant you've only still hunted and are waiting for them while doing so?? or if you mean still hunted As Well as stand hunted... anyways, there is no guarantee that deer are going to respond to your calls..rattling, grunting, bleating. Sometimes it gets a reaction, and just as often, it doesnt. It all depends on when you're using them. If youre going out and just rattling/grunting/goin wild with calls during the opener of bow, then...no, you wont get any reaction. During the rut is when you'll have your best chances there. A lot of factors come into 'getting' a whitetail. Here is what i'd take into account:
* WHERE you're hunting...if youre not over some sort of food or pinch point/travel route, youre putting yourself behind the game already. Set a stand up on the edge of a food source (corn field, bean field, food plot,etc.) and hunt it in the evening and see what happens. Find trails/rub and scrape lines and setup a stand off of that
* Know your wind/where your scent is gonna blow. Deer are very aware of their surroundings and often times will wind you and be gone before you even know youre there.
* Be Still. Again, deer will see you before you evem know theyre there if youre up there moving around.

Theres a LOT more that can be said but, thats what im gonna offer up now.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Still hunting is stalking. Stand hunting is sitting.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Spike

Oh my bad i ment i jus find a blind/make a blind and hunt that ive never stlked before walkin on leaves are comparble to walking on..frosted flakes lol
Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Stand hunting works much better but I don't do any rattling or grunting unless things are slow for a long period of time and even then it has to be in the rut for it to work.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

None of the above. We find them with binos and stalk them to within range. Here we can see deer at over 2 miles away.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt areas you can't see 30 yards, and yes I am successul.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

I sit in the morning and afternoons with a bow.
Gun seasons I sit for a while in the mornings. Then I still hunt or get with a group and we put on drives. I see most deer while driving. Have shot the most while still hunting. And sitting in the mornings sometimes I see some, sometimes not.
-Jake
Old 12-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I bowhunt and gunhunt. With gun hunting I usually will hunt in a public place or sit in my stand. I rarely have any luck hunting on the ground in public places, i don't like it cuz it's basically luck when the hunters push the deer to you. I've seen much more with stand hunting. And I don't just sit in a stand, I hunt in a stand with deer trails all around and I use corn and apples for bait. So far this bowhunting season i've see like 50 deer within 2 months(a lot are repeats)I've seen some awesome bucks and only like 3 times have I gone out and not seen anything at all. If I were you, i'd set up a stand next to deer trails and use bait, it's worked for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.